London ACORN, Location – London ON
35hrs/week for 8 weeks with possibility of extension
Do you want training in grassroots community organizing? ACORN Canada is looking for youth interested in social and economic justice!
ACORN Canada is a national grassroots non-profit organization that brings together low-and-moderate income families for social and economic justice. We are a member run organization structured like a community union, with over 140,000 members organized into 20+ neighbourhood chapters across the country. Our goal is to achieve social and economic justice by developing a national active membership that is invested in their organization and focused on building power for change.
Before COVID19 organizer’s primary method of engaging members was through door-knocking and house visits. Since COVID19, we’ve come up with creative new ways to engage new people into the organization such as street, door to door and online petitioning, and following up with people who attend events and asking them to join their local groups. This job will include new and existing fundraising, organizing virtual meetings, organizing social distance actions/protests, communications/public relations, developing campaigns, cultivating new community leaders, phone outreach, and most of all, listening to the people in the communities we organize in.
To be eligible, youth must:
• be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment*;
• be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment**; and,
• have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
Ideal Candidates are those:
• Willing to handle challenging and rewarding work to help our membership grow to be strong and active organizers.
• Must be willing to work field hours between 12PM and 9PM as we organize predominately when many people are at home
• Passionate about social justice and eager to participate in direct action on issues decided by ACORN’s current community leaders.
To better prepare yourself for the interview process, if you are selected, visit our website at acorncanada.org
Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
No experience required. Professional organizing training provided.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!