Job Type: Part-time for 16 weeks
Start Date: September 16, 2021
Salary/Hourly Rate: $25 - $30 per hour
Schedule: Tuesdays & Thursdays
The Refugee Centre is looking for a part-time coding instructor who has experience in Python for our Coding for Newcomers program.
Are you passionate about inspiring, leading, and teaching individuals from diverse backgrounds?
This job is ideal for college/university graduates in computer science or software engineering that are passionate about teaching and want to make a difference. This position also involves the opportunity to develop computer science curriculum and teaching plans.
Below are some characteristics of individuals we’re looking for:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Engaging, proactive, creative and open to learning
- Wants to have a positive impact on people.
- Enthusiasm for building curriculum, teaching plans & training other instructors
- A tech enthusiast who has a passion for technology, computers and coding
Roles & responsibilities
- Lead coding classes and events
- Create and develop curriculum, teaching plans/materials, instructions, and train other instructors & teach this curriculum
- Create projects/themes for the class in addition to the existing curriculum
- Continually develop our curriculum
- Work with students to develop their own individual learning path
- Track each student's progress and provide feedback & answer questions on Slack.
- Create safe, comfortable and fun classroom environments
- Inspire creativity and curiosity in students
- Diploma (college or university) in computer science or computer engineering and/or background in computer science/programming, software engineering or computer engineering
- Experience working with newcomers
- Experience with Github and PyCharm
- Experience as a tutor or teacher (1 year preferred)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, written and oral
- Comfortable using and/or learning computer, software, hardware, electronics, new technologies
- Reliable, energetic, and well-organized
- Comfortable teaching online via Zoom (or other online platform)
- Flexible schedule (Preferred)