Resource and Information Specialist
Who we are: Job Skills offers employment solutions connecting the skills of job seekers with the needs of employers to create a more vibrant community.
What we need: Results-driven individuals who:
- Possess solid administrative skills and have a demonstrated ability in the use of MS office products, web browsers and online research tools
- Knowledge of labour market and job search strategies would be considered an asset
- Have experience staffing an employment resource Centre (considered an asset)
- Have training or equivalent experience in training in employment and career counselling
- Have excellent group facilitation and presentation skills, social media/training or relevant experience
- Have a minimum of two years’ experience conducting community outreach and coordination
- Have exceptional cross-cultural competency awareness and experience working with marginalized groups, diverse communities and cultures and an understanding of anti-oppression and equity practices
What you will do: The Resource and Information Specialist supports the activities of the Job Skills Newcomer Employment Programs and Services activities by:
- Providing general direction and guidance to individuals and employers accessing the Information/Resource service with print and online information, resources and activities that support independent employability support
- Researching and tracking current and relevant resources and materials for the resource Centre area and for clients
- Assisting with the maintenance and enhancement of resources for clients, supplying, and controlling an appropriate use of resources
- Seeking out new job search tools and web sites for client usage
- Collecting labor market information to assist clients in job search strategies
- Developing an awareness of community and social services and supports and making referrals where appropriate
- Watching for trends and providing supporting data to management for future report and proposal writing submissions
- Assisting with other activities as required
- Interviewing clients from various cultural, ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds to obtain employment history, educational background, career goals etc. employment, youth women and seniors programs and community services
- Planning events (Live, Virtual and Hybrid options) and coordinating-in collaboration with the Centre manager
- Facilitating information sessions and Welcome Centre related workshops
- Building and fostering meaningful relationships with the community and all interested stakeholders
- Identifying emerging community, trends, opportunities and partnerships
- Collaborating with Welcome Centre staff, Centre Manager, and Director of Newcomer Services, as needed, to ensure a consistent and high level of client service
- Maintaining case managed client information on Welcome Centre/JS database and updating WC employers and community partners on Job Skills database
- Following standard procedures for receiving and directing calls and handling walk-in clients and scheduling appointments for the Centre
- Providing general program information to clients and refers appropriately
- Ordering and maintaining appropriate levels of employment related materials, newspapers, journals, pamphlets and guides etc
- Providing Welcome Centre orientation/tours for clients and guests to the Welcome Centre
- 2-4 years’ experience in the Social Service sector
- Minimum education requirement is a Post-secondary education, preferably in Career Development or Social Service and/or related experience
- Effective Communication (Listening Skills)
- Fostering Teamwork
- Functional, Technical and Organizational Proficiency
- Strategic Thinking
- Multi-tasking Abilities
- Information Seeking Abilities
- Planning and Goal Setting Abilities
What you will get: In addition to the satisfaction gained from helping people reach their goals, Job Skills offers a competitive salary and benefits package!
If you are interested in this employment opportunity, please read on to learn more about Job Skills, how you can apply to this exciting position and become part of our growing Job Skills Team!
Job Skills is a forward thinking, not-for-profit, charitable organization that is constantly developing or implementing new Programs to help individuals achieve economic independence. In doing so, we aim to contribute to the economic and social viability of our community. We are ethical, client-focused, performance-oriented and believe in the personal growth of our staff, our community and our clients.
As a Resource and Information Specialist with Job Skills, you will work for a high performing organization that is dedicated to assisting individuals in achieving their employment goals. In this role, you will utilize your unique combination of skills and experience in counseling and networking to help clients find and maintain meaningful employment.
Job Skills is committed to fostering a workplace that is both inclusive and representative of the communities we serve. As a diverse workplace incorporates a variety of backgrounds and perspectives, we believe that being a diverse and inclusive organization is essential to achieving success and client satisfaction in all Job Skills’ Services and Programs. To meet these objectives, we invite all qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply. Please be advised that accommodation is available upon request.
We thank all applicants, but only those to be interviewed will be contacted. Please indicate the position title, and job reference number in the email subject line and tell us how you learned about this opportunity in your cover letter.