The Child and Youth Care Counsellor will provide one to one service to children aged 3-18 years who have autism and/or developmental disabilities. The program focuses on community integration, family support, appropriate behaviour and development of communication, social and life skills.
HIGHLIGHTS OF KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Working with children ages 3-18 who have a developmental disability, may also include work with adults with development disabilities.
- Creating and implementing strategies designed to work toward individual client goals such as the development of social and life skills, communication skills, behavior management skills and community involvement.
- Evaluating client’s progress with written reports and journal notes.
- Maintain and submit accurate monthly schedules, as well as records of expenses and hours worked.
Education, Training, and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field or a related combination of education and experience
- Current Level I First Aid certificate required
- Unrestricted Class 4 Drivers License or ability to obtain one within 6 months
- Use of a reliable vehicle for business purposes (business insurance will be required)
- Fluency in a second language.
- Crisis Line experience.
- Previous work with children with developmental disabilities.
- Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Good organization, time and general management skills.
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Energy and enthusiasm for working with children who have autism and/or a developmental disability