Schedule: 8:30am - 4:30pm, 40 hr/wk including evenings & weekends to accommodate supporting youth & family schedules
Child and Family Services, community agencies, government services, teachers etc. can refer youth/families to our program with their consent, or by self-referral. Services are designed to fit each individual youth/family and is focused on building resilience, life skills and positive relationships with friends and family.
High Level, Alberta, a town in northern Alberta, with a population of 3,641, is located midway between Edmonton (733 kms south) and Yellowknife, NWT (725 kms south north).
The Family Support Worker II, provides services to youth and families in the privacy of their own homes and their communities. Together, WJS staff and parents find ways to successfully and safely raise their children, by building on their strengths and learning new skills such as daily routine for children, attachment, development milestones, conflict resolution and so on. Together they create a culturally responsive, customized plan, based on best practice and their specific needs, connect them to community resources/programs and a support network for future growth and success.
With children and youth aged 7-18, we focus on mentorship, parent-teen conflicts, self esteem and conflict resolution.
In Your Role You Will
• Travel to family homes and communities in the service area in own vehicle – travel reimbursed.
• Establish trusting relationships with youth, children & families, while assisting them in the development of interpersonal, communication skills, daily living skills, and other areas of interest.
• Evening and occasional weekend work is required, as this is the time when families with children are together and is often a stressful time for families.
• Connect children & families with support networks, outside agencies and community resources and organize ongoing service delivery.
• Work with youth & adults who need support in building stronger self-esteem, conflict management with caregivers, addiction and mental health support and other items identified by youth and family.
• With input from the youth and families develop service plans and ensure accurate client file management which involves timely documentation and record of client activities.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Social Work Diploma or Degree in Social Work, Child and Youth Work, Social Service Worker, Addictions, etc.
• 2+ years social work experience in social work, family support/intervention, youth work, homelessness, addictions, etc.
• Previous experience in developing community events and projects to engage with youth and families, is desirable.
• Knowledge of aboriginal culture is an asset
• Suicide Intervention and Prevention Training and cultural sensitivity
• Clear Criminal Record and Child Welfare Intervention check
• Valid Alberta Driver’s License, reliable vehicle with appropriate insurance, and clean driver’s abstract
• Valid First Aid / CPR Certificate
• Experience working with computer software systems
• Highly motivated, and able to work independently
What WJS Canada does
WJS keeps families strong through a variety of programs and services, including:
• Family Reunification, Preservation and Support
• Home Visitation
• Supported Family Time
• Family Group Conferencing
• Child in Care Services
• Early Intervention or Diversion Programs
Our Employees Enjoy
• Generous benefit packages including: Employer-paid Dental & Extended Health with 100% prescription coverage, 3 weeks annual vacation and more!
• Safe, supportive and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!