The Research Manager is responsible for undertaking and executing a wide range of research projects and activities, from scoping through to report writing and spread of knowledge gained from research. In this role, the research Manager uses their research, grant writing, analytical, and reporting expertise to advance the Centre’s research capabilities, drawing upon a combination of both qualitative and quantitative experience.
Reporting to the Executive Director of the BC Centre for Palliative Care, the Research Manager works with the senior management team to identify new research opportunities, prepares funding proposals, and leads the day-to-day management of existing of research projects, ensuring the completion of projects on time and on budget. A key part of the manager’s role is building collaborative relationships with academic institutions, researchers, healthcare providers, healthcare organizations, community-based organizations and patient voices networks.
Duties and Responsibilities
Research Strategy and Planning
Oversee research strategy and projects, holistically and on a project-by-project basis, by:
- Making professional decisions and recommendations on all aspects of research work.
- Participating in the establishment and ongoing management of research project team(s).
- Coordinating and contributing to selection decisions for external research partners, where applicable.
- Developing project proposals, protocols, work plans and timelines for research projects.
- Preparing funding proposals, in coordination with internal and external partners.
- Participating in budget forecasting and preparation.
- Advising researchers on regulatory requirements for the conduct of research.
Implementation of Research Projects
Coordinate research project activities, by:
- Preparing research ethics submissions and amendments.
- Overseeing data collection and analysis by team members.
- Conducting primary or secondary analysis of quantitative and qualitative research data.
- Contributing to the interpretation of research results and determination of key messages, in collaboration with investigators and project partners.
Dissemination of Research Findings
Oversee the dissemination of research findings to various stakeholders, by:
- Coordinating and participating in the creation of research reports, manuscripts and presentations.
- Contributing to or conducting oral presentations on the research findings.
- Contributing to the development of knowledge translation plan, including developing innovative ways to share findings with internal and external stakeholders.
- Managing the implementation of knowledge translation plans, including supporting the creation of original content, and coordinating dissemination through publications, website, newsletter, and other media.
Research Project Management
Manage research projects, by:
- Creating and maintaining all required project documentation, including plans, schedules, budgets, deliverables, reports and stakeholder contributions.
- Track and report on research activities, progress, and outcomes.
- Supervising research assistants, trainees, and students.
- Supporting project members and partners, including recruitment and support of patient/public partners.
- Ensuring communication channels with the project team and stakeholders are in place and utilized
- Managing the day-to-day relationship with external stakeholders.
- Conducting periodic review and evaluation of research efforts in collaboration with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Participating in regular team meetings to review and report on progress and deliverables.
Qualifications and Experience
- A graduate degree in health research or related field required. PhD preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in health research, 2-3 years directly overseeing research planning, analysis, and project management.
- Experience managing a research team including research assistants, trainees and clinicians is strongly preferred.
- Minimum three years experience in advance care planning, end-of-life care, palliative care, community development, or grief and bereavement preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of research principles applicable to health research and implementation science, including human ethics and patient-oriented research principles, and quantitative and qualitative research methodology.
- Experience in research project management, including execution and coordination of multifaceted projects with stringent timelines.
- Experience conceptualizing new research projects as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to conduct quantitative and qualitative data analysis.
- Strong writing skills, including the ability to develop summaries for various audiences, and proven ability to prepare successful research and funding proposals.
- Experience in preparation and amending human research ethics applications.
- Strong skills in researching a topic and efficiently synthesising information.
- Highly developed communication skills to function within a complex interdisciplinary environment.
- Proven ability to effectively lead project teams both in a physical and virtual team environment.
- Sound ability to diplomatically navigate within a professional environment, and to build and maintain effective, trusted relationships.
- Understanding of the sensitivity involved in complex situations relating to politics, people, and how organizations function, with an ability to tailor approaches according to specific situations.
- Strong literacy with word-processing, spreadsheets, presentations, and data analysis programs.