Division: Settlement & Family Services
Program: Integrated Employment and Language Training Program
Number of Positions: 9
Class Schedules to be Filled:
- Richmond (LINC 2) & Vancouver (LINC 4) - Morning Class: Monday to Thursday 9am to 12pm plus prep
- Surrey (Literacy/LINC 1) - Morning Class: Monday to Thursday 9am - 11:30am plus prep
- Surrey - Conversation Circles: Monday to Thursday 12:30pm - 2:30pm plus prep
- Surrey (LINC 2 and LINC 5) - Evening Class: Tuesday to Thursday 6:30pm - 9:00pm plus prep
- Surrey (LINC 5) - Saturday: 9:00am to 2:45pm + 3 hours online plus prep
- Vancouver - Conversation Circles: Tuesday and Thursday 12:30pm - 2:30pm plus prep
- Richmond (Clear Communication for Workplace) - Online class 8 hours per week plus prep (Sep. 7 to October 30, 2021)
About the Position:
Language Instructors are responsible for delivering CLB-based settlement English language services for newcomers to Canada according to IRCC established Language Training Outcomes. Instructors are responsible for planning lessons that utilizes and adapts classroom teaching materials. They may also be required to complement classroom instruction with appropriate field trips and guest speakers and provide referrals to community resources for students when needed.
Reports to: Program Manager
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develops long term (monthly or longer) unit plans according to S.U.C.C.E.S.S. guidelines and are aligned with the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLBs) and based on S.U.C.C.E.S.S. in-house curriculums, core framework, LINC Curriculum &/or ELSA Net Curriculum. Submits a unit summary, as and when required
- Develops daily lesson plans for newcomers to learn English usage for various purposes.
- Teaches in an engaging and effective manner, respectful of student diversity and needs, and mindful of IRCC Language Training Outcomes.
- Monitors and teaches students in an online learning environment.
- Maintains accurate records, including attendance sheets and submits reports promptly to ensure students progress effectively.
- Uses Portfolio Based Language Assessment (PBLA) as directed.
- Disseminates class or program evaluation materials as needed.
- Communicates client needs and issues to Language Lead.
- Contributes to Tutela (IRCC online community of practice) as appropriate
- Performs other related tasks as assigned by Language Lead
Qualifications & Experience:
- TESL Canada recognized TESL/TESOL certificate or diploma
- 600 hours of ESL teaching experience or a supervised teaching practicum as part of a TESL/TESOL training program
- Confirmed proficiency in English. Confirmation can be provided by a minimum of one of the following:
- English as a first language; or
- Completion of a minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an English speaking country where the program was taught in English; or
- A minimum TOEFL score of 550; or
- A minimum IELTS score of 6.5
- Knowledge of local community resources for newcomers to Canada
- Classroom teaching experience with adult newcomers to Canada
- Experience working in a multicultural and diverse environment
Job Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to do effective unit and daily planning
- Proficient in use of computer programs including MS Word, email, and internet
- Proficient in the use of internet and other computer-based technology in the classroom
- Develop daily and monthly plans based on appropriate Canadian Language Benchmarks level
- Familiar with use of typical office and classroom equipment (including smartboard technology)
- Able to work independently within a team environment
- Able to participate in professional development
- Able to create and sustain a safe and positive learning environment
- Able to foster independent learning
- Able to identify when a learner is in need of learning assistance and know how to respond appropriately
- Understanding of the basic principles of crisis management in the classroom
- Criminal Record Check (Vulnerable Sector Check) Required
Please indicate in your cover letter and resume the region(s) and the class(es) to which you're interested to apply.