Director, Communications and Community Engagement
Who we are: Job Skills offers employment solutions connecting the skills of job seekers with the needs of employers to create a more vibrant community.
What we need: Results-driven individual possessing the following qualifications:
- Post-secondary degree communications, marketing, public relations or journalism, from at an accredited University and equivalent work experience
- Minimum 5 years' work experience in the Communications/Marketing sector; experience in a non-profit environment an asset
- Strong interpersonal skills to interact effectively with stakeholders at all levels (including clients, board members, funders, community partners etc.)
- Excellent written, verbal and digital communication skills, with focus on high quality assurance standards
- Track record of developing, implementing and tracking communication/marketing strategies across multiple communications channels, to reach targeted markets and achieve outcomes
- Technological ability to work on a variety of digital platforms and also create web and mobile content
- People management skills including leadership, coaching and performance management
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, required; experience with Abode Creative Suite, preferred
What you will do: The Director, Communications and Community Engagement supports the activities of the Job Skills marketing team by:
Management and Financial Management
- Collaborating with the Senior Management Team (SMT) to develop policies and strategic directions for the organization
- Participating in SMT and other committee meetings to advance the Agency's Strategic Plan and meet strategic objectives
- Developing and monitoring the Marketing department's operational plan to ensure outcomes are achieved
- Assisting with the development and submission of funding proposals, ensuring an appropriate marketing budget is requested
- Preparing the required reports for the Board of Directors and funders
- Liaising with appropriate stakeholders, as required
- Attending all Board meetings and Annual General Meetings, reporting on the activities of the Marketing department
- Developing and monitoring, in conjunction with the Finance department, all budgets pertaining to Marketing department activities
- Ensuring Job Skills' reputation, goodwill and good faith is maintained through solid communication and transparent practices
- Establishing and driving a multi-channel communications strategy, maintaining brand integrity across all media platforms.
- Coordinating the production of key communication tools for internal and external use, including development of the Annual Report, Agency Corporate Portfolio/Profile etc.
- Developing internal and external communication pieces, in conjunction with the Executive Director, Senior Management Team and/or Board of Directors
- Working with staff of various departments to develop and implement specific communications strategies
- Overseeing the appropriate communication strategy(ies) as part of the Agency's Risk Management Plan, including managing risks and taking the appropriate steps to mitigate them, and responding to crises or challenging situations, quickly and professionally
- Liaising with all sectors on issues related to communication and marketing activities
- Coordinating all media relations for the Agency and develops contacts with media members, influencers and community leaders, including requests for interviews, story leads, guest speakers etc.
- Representing the Agency as required on external committees, particularly those dealing with marketing or communication aspects on specific topics (i.e., immigration)
- Coordinating Agency representation at forums, panel discussions, speaking engagements, and reviews presentations, speaking notes etc. to ensure brand recognition
- Ensuring brand recognition and enhancement is a priority for all marketing activities, aligned with the Agency's Mission
- Developing and implementing an annual marketing strategy for the Agency, in conjunction with the management team, in line with the Agency's Strategic Plan
- Overseeing the implementation of the Agency's Client Recruitment Strategy, tracking engagement across various platforms, making data-driven decisions to make adjustments/changes
- Marketing and promoting all of the Agency's programs and services using a mix of traditional and digital (online) marketing tools to grow brand recognition
- Providing direction and guidance and approves the creation of digital, print, video, and audio promotional content
- Ensuring high-quality assurance standards are met in all marketing and promotional products, as per the organization's brand guidelines and funder requirements
Staffing and Supervision
- Leading a team of communication, marketing, and design professionals
- Promoting a team culture of high performance, continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Post-secondary degree in Communications, marketing, public relations or Journalism
- 5-10 years’ staff management experience
- Strategic Thinking/Leadership
- Communication Skills (Internal/external)
- Building Collaborations/Partnerships
- Problem Solving
- Decision-making Abilities
- Aligning Performance for Success
What you will get: In addition to the satisfaction gained from helping people reach their goals, Job Skills offers a competitive salary and benefits package!
If you are interested in this employment opportunity, please read on to learn more about Job Skills, how you can apply to this exciting position and become part of our growing Job Skills Team!
Job Skills is a forward thinking, not-for-profit, charitable organization that is constantly developing or implementing new Programs to help individuals achieve economic independence. In doing so, we aim to contribute to the economic and social viability of our community. We are ethical, client-focused, performance-oriented and believe in the personal growth of our staff, our community and our clients.
As a Director, Communications and Community Engagement with Job Skills, you will work for a high performing organization that is dedicated to assisting individuals in achieving their employment goals.
Job Skills is committed to fostering a workplace that is both inclusive and representative of the communities we serve. A diverse workplace incorporates a variety of backgrounds and perspectives, we believe that being a diverse and inclusive organization is essential to achieving success and client satisfaction in all Job Skills’ Services and Programs. To meet these objectives, we invite all qualified candidates to apply. Please be advised that accommodation is available upon request.
We thank all applicants for your interest, and only those to be interviewed will be contacted. Please indicate the position title, and job reference number in the email subject line and tell us how you learned about this opportunity in your cover letter.