Who We Are
Founded in 1889, YWCA Hamilton is known as one of Hamilton’s original social innovators and works from a feminist, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive framework. We are dedicated to strengthening women’s and girl’s voices, broadening their choices, building dynamic leadership and providing essential services that promote safe, inclusive and equitable communities.
Supervises front desk staff and is responsible for supporting a safe and inclusive community for tenants that builds positive relationships with those accessing programs in the facility and the neighborhood. Accountable for the day to day operations with a focus on tenant services and building operations.
- Oversees tenant lease agreements and the tenant onboarding program;
- Works with the Managers of Transitional Housing and Developmental Services to screen and select tenants ensuring tenants meet eligibility requirements and can be effectively supported in the program;
- Works with an Eviction Prevention Program to support tenants;
- Responsible for tenant rent payments, arrears and evictions when required;
- Maintains appropriate record keeping and reporting information on tenants and provides the information required for annual reports to the City for funding of the Affordable Housing program and related Rent Supplements;
- Responds to all resident requests/complaints in a courteous, friendly, prompt and professional manner;
- Supports tenant safety plans and identify risks related to gender based violence that some tenants will have experienced;
- Manages the inventory of the program and community rooms and tenant mail box keys, manages community room bookings and external room rental agreements;
- Processes and approves invoices related to daily operations;
- Assists Manager with budget planning, monitoring and purchasing, manages spending within operational budget for the facility;
- Supervises Front Desk staff at Putnam Family YWCA to foster a welcoming and inclusive experience to members, clients, tenants, visitors and community members;
- Negotiates and resolves member, tenants and customer questions and concerns;
- Applies and enforces YWCA policies, and develops, maintains and updates front desk and department operational policies and standard operating procedures (SOP’s);
- Works with Facilities Manager and Maintenance staff to provide guidance to vendors and contractors in the day to day repair and cleaning;
- Fosters a safe and healthy work environment, ensures employees and residents comply with health and safety standards that meet or exceed legislated requirements, and identifies and addresses health and safety risks or areas of concern;
- Maintains the emergency response procedure for the Putman Family YWCA as required;
- Completes daily reports, highlighting items that may provide a health and safety hazard, security issue, or member, tenant, client or neighbourhood risks;
- Maintains a high level of confidentiality when working with tenant, client, employee and contract information;
- Demonstrates and models strong leadership behaviours as a member of the management team;
- Understands emerging trends in service quality, leading practices, industry professional standards and incorporates into work where possible;
- Provides facilities and operational input and updates to the Manager on major/minor capital projects, remodel-improvement projects;
- Supports YWCA Hamilton mission, vision and values;
- Perform other duties as required
- Works a standard 37.5-hour work week;
- Regular on-call emergency coverage required (e.g. HVAC issues, floods, tenant emergencies).
- Completion of 2 years’ college related to property management or facility operations field or equivalent;
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience with demonstrated leadership skills in residential services, facilities management preferably for affordable, non-profit, or social housing;
- Knowledge of the rules and regulations of the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006 and the Protecting Tenants and Strengthening Community Housing Act, 2020;
- Knowledge of Emergency Safety plans;
- Ability to work well under pressure, team oriented and reliable;
- Must be able to lead and work from a feminist, anti-racist / anti-oppressive perspective;
- Must provide a current Criminal Record Judicial Matters Police check or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Must have current Standard First Aid and CPR certificate or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Excellent customer service and communication skills;
- Ability to work a schedule that includes regular on-call emergency coverage;
- Bilingual English/French or other languages an asset.
YWork for us?
At YWCA Hamilton, we are intentional about fostering a workplace culture that values positive physical and emotional well-being through our values of Inclusivity, Equity, Community, Self-determination, and Accountability. We invest in our employees so that we can bring our values into the communities in which we live. We offer our employees:
- On-the-job training and professional development opportunities
- Staff fitness, aquatic, childcare and recreation discounts
- Opportunities to get involved in our community
- A competitive total rewards package
If you’re passionate about making a positive impact in the lives of women, children, and families every day, we would love for you to join our team!
Thank you for your interest in YWCA Hamilton.
As part of YWCA Hamilton’s commitment to Access and Equity, we strive to represent the diverse communities that we serve. Individuals who are women, First Nations, Métis, immigrant, refugee, LGBTQ2S+; individuals with disAbilities; and individuals from racialized communities or other marginalized communities are encouraged to apply.
Accommodations are available throughout the recruitment process. Please inform us of any accommodation requests.
Please Note: Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information collected during the recruitment process will only be used for employment opportunities only in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act. Only applications from individuals eligible to work in Canada will be considered.