L’Arche Greater Vancouver is a non-profit organization dedicated to creating homes and day programs in which people with and without developmental disabilities live, work and discover faith together. We intentionally create a community together.
Casual support assistant works on an “as needed” basis. The casual support position is an on-call position filling in for regular assistants on leave.
We are looking for people who like to support adults with developmental disabilities in all aspects of their lives, work cooperatively in a multicultural environment and like to be involved in a community of people with and without developmental disabilities.
If you are caring, compassionate, reliable and want to make a difference in someone's life, we would like to hear from you!
Together with other members of the house team, the Support Assistant is responsible for the support, care and well-being of the individuals with disabilities at the house and day-to-day life in the home. The Support Assistant is an effective member of the house team, and active member of the L’Arche community.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build and foster a comfortable and welcoming atmosphere based on the individual characteristics and meaningful participation of all house members.
- Provide respectful and high-quality direct care supports and skill building for core members in areas including: personal care needs, life goals, money management, medical care and medication, appointments, family and work connections, household chores and meal preparation.
- Help plan and participate in inclusive celebrations and traditions in the home that are representative of house members.
- Support, respect and participate in house traditions and the spiritual life of the house and community.
- Keep up-to-date and accurate records in all areas as directed: financial, medical, daily journals, medication, etc.
- Collaborate with house leader as well as with other assistants in home to complete household duties including but not limited to: shopping, cleaning, cooking, laundry, transportation, yard work, etc.
- Adhere to all policies, guidelines, regulations, and safety and emergency procedures of the L’Arche community and government bodies.
Qualifications, Skills Needed and Position Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Class 5 Drivers License preferred
- Fluent in spoken and written English and able to effectively articulate thoughts and ideas in a team setting
- Clear police check including vulnerable sector screening
- At least 19 years of age
- Experience supporting people with developmental disabilities or seniors
- Available to work flexible hours on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays
- Ability to remain calm, focused and clear in times of crisis
- Ability to take direction and follow-through on commitments in timely fashion
- Open to learn and grow; able to give and receive feedback
- Ability to directly address tensions in relationships
- Open to develop competence in a wide range of areas including household planning, conformity with standards and policies, individual programming and personal time management.
- Willing to carry responsibility and maintain professionalism and confidentiality with regard to individual members.
- Ability to lift, do transfers, and push wheelchair
- Ability to take initiative