Position description: As an integral part of the Head Office team, the Communications Officer is responsible for creating internal and external communications content for the organization, including writing and editing funding proposals, developing marketing and promotional materials, creating social media content and responding to all social media inquiries, designing new website pages, as well as writing staff and client newsletters, and other duties.
Position Type: Full-time, one-year contract with strong possibility of renewal
Experience: 3+ years
Number of Positions: 1
Department: Head Office
Reporting to: VP of Strategic Development, Community and Corporate Relations
Start date: Immediately
Responsibilities include, but are not limited, to:
- Reviews and edits written materials utilized by the organization, including contributing to the creation of funding proposals to support the organization’s growth initiatives.
- Develops marketing materials for all programs, including, but not limited to, flyers, videos, and social media content. Adheres to funders’ Communications and Visibility Guidelines for specific funding acknowledgements as required.
- Creates, posts, and monitors social media content and inquires on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn; coordinates sponsored marketing campaigns on social media platforms and tracks results.
- Records, edits, and uploads digital content to various channels, including, but not limited to, podcasts, recorded webinars, and informational videos.
- Takes lead role in maintaining the organization’s website, including writing and designing new web pages and ensuring consistent flow; writes detailed descriptions, captions, and alt text for images to improve search engine optimization (SEO) and to comply with AODA and WCAG 2.0 requirements for accessible images and multimedia.
- Updates and maintains on a monthly basis the organization’s CASL-compliant mailing lists of contacts that have opted-in or out of receiving the organization’s email communications.
- Develops content for monthly newsletter for job seekers and employers and distributes e-blasts of same utilizing the organization’s mailing lists.
- Develops content for monthly internal newsletter for personnel.
- Works in collaboration with the Vice President, Strategic Development, Community and Corporate Relations to plan, author, and design the organization’s annual report.
- Sources images and video B-roll to include in communications materials.
- Develops and maintains annual marketing budget for the organization; researches and takes the lead on innovative marketing strategies to adhere to budgetary obligations.
- Monitors and updates monthly Digital Services Tracker to capture number of monthly web visitors, podcast listens, etc.
- Creates and maintains the organization’s Media Kit and responds to media inquiries; coordinates interviews/prepares talking points on behalf of executive management when required.
- Prepares press releases as required.
- Attends important company events (e.g., milestone events and large-scale hiring events) to photograph and/or record video footage for use in marketing materials; works in collaboration with the Operations Coordinator to create signage and processes to ensure attendees are aware of and have agreed to being recorded.
- Monitors and maintains the organization’s Google pages and prepares proposed responses for all Google Reviews in collaboration with the Operations Coordinator.
- Collects and edits client success stories submitted by the organization’s department of Employment Specialists; maintains client waiver forms granting permission to share success stories for promotional purposes.
- Provides expertise and guidance to assist program managers and coordinators with updating or streamlining day-to-day processes related to communications, such as creating consistent job posting templates and procedures, hiring event planning, etc.
- Supports with the preparation of important reports to funders by reviewing and editing prior to submission.
- Identifies potential suppliers and/or works with existing vendors to obtain quotes and negotiate best rates for various company purchases; coordinates orders.
- Handles registrations for large-scale events (e.g., Career Fair Canada) and works in collaboration with program managers and coordinators to organize staff schedules.
- Works with contracted vendor, semi-annually, to update professional, on-hold greeting messages heard by callers.
- Occasionally creates meeting agendas and ad hoc external announcements.
- Coordinates special agency surveys as needed.
- Maintains detailed knowledge of The Career Foundation’s core values, strategic priorities, policies, procedures, and goals to collaborate effectively and provide excellent service to various stakeholders.
- Travels on an occasional basis to various office locations across the GTHA and surrounding areas.
- Other duties as required.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- University degree or college diploma relating to communications or journalism.
- Highly developed writing and editing skills. Previous experience in a professional writing or editing role is highly desirable.
- A minimum of 3 years of practical, hands-on experience in a similar role that included designing various types of marketing collateral and writing and editing content. Note: Candidates will be asked to submit samples of their past work prior to reaching the interview stage.
- Hands-on experience working with Hootsuite, Campaigner, and other software related to communications is considered essential, in addition to familiarization with Google analytics and SEO strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to plan a project from start to finish, including project design, researching, budgeting, etc. Previous budget experience is desirable.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel, as well as Zoom, and Outlook 365 applications, including Teams, SharePoint, Forms, and Bookings.
- Exceptional attention-to-detail and ability to produce work with a high level of accuracy and strong problem solving skills.
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills relating to planning, record-keeping, and maintaining and executing an ongoing timetable of activities and deadlines.
- Responsive and flexible to evolving responsibilities and able to take initiative - all Head Office staff must be able to successfully “switch gears” quickly to respond to different priorities, with their work varying from day-to-day.
- High standards of ethics and confidentiality with proven ability to maintain sensitive information and exhibit tact, diplomacy, and good judgment.
- Experience with procedures and best practices to protect privacy and security of confidential information is preferred.
- Ability to work very independently and develop strong working relationships with various teams and stakeholders.
- Willingness and flexibility to occasionally work outside of normal business hours, including evenings and weekends, during peak periods for Head Office (e.g., during proposal preparation processes).
- Other duties as required.
About Us: The Career Foundation offers a wide range of career and job-related programs. Since its inception in 1988, The Career Foundation has steadily expanded its services. Operating out of seven locations, we now help thousands of people each year successfully accomplish their employment goals. For more information, please visit our website at www.CareerFoundation.com.
The Career Foundation is committed to diversity and inclusion and aims to create a healthy and rewarding environment for all. We welcome applications from qualified individuals who represent the diversity of the people we proudly serve, including, but not limited to, visible minorities, women, persons with disabilities, Indigenous peoples, and individuals of all genders and sexual orientation. The Career Foundation, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), is also committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. We will work with candidates requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
We are a professional, result-driven organization that has been described by our employees as caring, compassionate, innovative, and team-oriented.
We also offer:
- Competitive compensation
- A comprehensive health benefits plan that includes massage therapy, naturopath services, and travel coverage
- An Employee & Family Assistance Program
- An RRSP matching plan
- A wellness program