United Way Greater Toronto is looking for an experienced writer with passion for the community to join our team.
Reporting to the Managing Editor, the Staff Writer is responsible for generating dynamic, on-brand, audience-focused content for multiple channels and liaise with internal departments and external stakeholders to meet their marketing content and editing needs.
What you’ll do:
- Create original content that is easy-to-read, emotionally rich, makes complex topics simple and boasts attention-grabbing openers that bring the United Way brand to life for target audiences in multiple channels while meeting the strategic objectives of the content marketing strategy
- Contribute to the cross-organizational editorial team—and content sprint teams, as required—by sourcing and pitching story ideas, conducting interviews, booking photographers or videographers as required, and managing the permissions and fact-checking process
- Participate in the creative brief process for new projects initiated by internal departments and external stakeholders, taking the content lead where required
- Manage the sourcing and maintenance of a stable of freelance writers, providing editorial management and oversight, as well as editing expertise to deliver top-notch, on-brand, audience-focused content
- Provide additional copywriting and editing support for diverse internal projects, including donor stewardship, fundraising initiatives, special events and others as required
What you’ll need to be successful:
- A love of community, with an interest in nurturing and building it and giving everyone in it a fair chance at a good life
- 5 years progressive experience in marketing communications
- Post-secondary education in journalism, marketing, advertising or communications or a combination of related education and experience
- Superior writing and editing skills and an ability to execute with excellence in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Editorial mindset that seeks to understand what audiences want and how to give it to them
- Familiarity with SEO, UI/UX, and analytics/optimization
- Solution-oriented, with an ability to make sound and timely decisions within the scope of the position
- Committed to excellence in work quality and a keen attention to detail
- Ability to respond positively to change or setbacks
- Proven organizational abilities and the ability to manage competing priorities and meet deadlines under pressure
- Excellent teamwork, interpersonal and constituent service skills including the ability to work respectfully and inclusively with a diverse set of people
As part of our recruitment process, United Way Greater Toronto offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities. If we contact you about an opportunity, please let us know if you require accommodation.
About United Way Greater Toronto:
As the largest non-government funder of community services in the GTA, United Way Greater Toronto reinforces a crucial community safety net. United Way’s network of agencies and initiatives in neighbourhoods across Peel, Toronto and York Region works to ensure that everyone has access to the programs and services they need to thrive today. Mobilizing the network and other community support, United Way tackles #unignorable issues linked to poverty. United Way’s work is rooted in ground-breaking research, strategic leadership, local advocacy and cross-sectoral partnerships committed to building lasting solutions to the GTA’s greatest challenges.
Diversity & Inclusion:
United Way is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that reflects our diverse community to ensure we’re best equipped to serve it. We encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds and those who may need accommodation to apply to join our team. Our commitment to excellence in diversity goes beyond promoting equity. By incorporating a variety of experiences and perspectives, we create opportunities for innovative solutions and maximize the impact of our work.