Lower Mainland Purpose Society for Youth and Families (Purpose Society) has the following position available:
Position: Rent Bank Case Worker (1.0 FTE)
Wage: Based On Experience
Location: 40 Begbie Street, New Westminster (primarily) and other Purpose Rent Bank locations as required
Hours: 35 hours per week – business hours – Monday to Friday
Vehicle: Personal Vehicle Required
Start Date: Immediately
Purpose Society operates a Rent Bank Program, with local rent banks located in the communities of New Westminster, Burnaby, Pitt Meadows and Maple Ridge. The Purpose Rent Bank Program is a housing stabilization program that was originally launched in New Westminster in June 2017. The Purpose Rent Bank Program offers loans to low and moderate income residents of the communities of New Westminster, Burnaby, Pitt Meadows and Maple Ridge who are experiencing a temporary financial crisis and are at risk of eviction or loss of essential utilities. The Rent Bank Case Worker manages all aspects of the application process and maintains program-related reports, statistics, case management and local community resources and other duties as required for the successful operation of the Purpose Society Rent Bank Program. This position reports to the Rent Bank Program Coordinator or in their absence the Program Director.
- Addresses inquiries related to the Purpose Society Rent Bank Program received for their community.
- Assesses whether people making inquiries meet the qualifications for a loan.
- Reviews Pre-Assessment Forms and contacts all applicants for follow up.
- Provides appropriate referrals to other services provided by Purpose Society or within the local community – such as: financial, legal, housing, health/nutritional and income supports.
- Liaises with the Ministry of Social Development & Poverty Reduction staff and BC Rent Bank staff where needed.
- Provides an explanation of the Loan Application process and provides Loan Application packages to eligible applicants.
- Determines what supporting documentation is required with each Loan Application.
- Reviews submitted Loan Application packages and conducts follow up with the applicant/s, landlords, employers, and other service providers, when needed.
- Meets once a week with the Loan Review Committee to present completed Loan Applications for review by the Loan Review Committee.
- Advises loan applicants of the determination of the Loan Review Committee. Where appropriate provides them with referrals to other services.
- When the Loan Review Committee has approved a loan, negotiates loan terms with the applicant.
- Meets with successful applicants to provide the loan funds as well as to review and sign loan terms.
- Processes loan payment deferments and follows up on missed loan payments.
- Maintains program statistics, reports, loan payments and case management information in an accurate and timely manner.
- Identifies market rental housing trends.
- Attends BC Rent Bank meetings, training and seminars as required.
- A 4 year degree from a recognized post-secondary institution in Social Work, Human Services, Health Sciences, or other related programs is required. A relevant two year diploma plus extensive experience in a related field may also be considered.
- Experience providing services for at-risk and/or marginalized populations is required.
- Experience in a non-profit organization is an asset.
- Ability to function effectively in difficult and/or crisis situations is required.
- Knowledge of local resources is an asset.
- Clear criminal records check.
- Must be willing and able to work at various Purpose Society Rent Bank Program locations as required.
- Must have a clear driving record.