- Assists mental health clients with activities of daily living. Provides life skills instruction in a variety of areas thereby increasing the client’s independence.
Highlights of key responsibilities
- Assists clients in the residence and in the community to encourage them to function more independently. Develops knowledge of local resources/activities. Makes referrals to other programs and resources if required. Provides community based psychosocial rehabilitation services.
- Participate in care/recovery planning with clients and/mental health clinical team. Advocates for and with the clients to encourage them to maintain their rights and dignity.
- Assists clients to identify and gain access to formal and informal community supports such as leisure, vocational, educational services through active community integration; providing community services resources
- Monitors clients’ well-being. Assists clients with activities of daily living such as, but not limited to, appointments reminders, assist to facilitate public transportation, medication management, attending medical appointments, providing reminders for personal hygiene & grooming. Depending on clients’ needs and abilities, worker may provide assistance with laundry services, including housekeeping/tiding suite, along with other hospitality services Facilitate and engage in physical, recreational and educational activities with clients. May assist clients with attending appointments by either providing transportation when necessary, or teaching transportation routes/methods as required.
- Makes recommendations with regard to the development of the program and participates in program evaluations.
- Able to recognize, analyze and strategize around potential emergencies. Reports problems to supervisor and/or proper authorities.
- Provides accurate reports and log notes on clients’ progress. Reports on clients’ progress made towards goals and objectives as required.
Education, Training, and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field or a related combination of education and experience (Mental Health Worker/Residential Care Aide certificate/training)
- Current Level I First Aid certificate
- FoodSafe Certificate
- Unrestricted Class 5 Drivers License and access to a reliable vehicle for business use
- Medication Administration Certificate
- Lived experience relevant to the service
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Good organization, time and general management skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, ability to work with clients living with mental illness.
- Firm understanding of harm reduction approach and its implementation in a community based setting.
- Demonstrated ability in crisis de-escalation skills applied in a team setting
- Demonstrated ability working with individuals living with substance misuse issues and or an untreated mental illness.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate groups.
- Understanding of a trauma informed approach
- Knowledge of psychosocial rehabilitation practices
- Ability to observe and recognize changes in clients.