The WorkLink Employment Society is recruiting a part-time, seasonal Visitor Experience Specialist. This position works 24 hours per week at Port Renfrew’s Visitor Information Centre with an hourly rate of $18. Join us and experience everything the community offers as you, live, work and play in the beautiful Pacific Coast setting.
About the Position:
Port Renfrew, located on southwest coast of Vancouver Island, is opening its’ first-ever Visitor Information Centre! We are searching for an energetic, friendly, people-oriented, responsible, and reliable candidate, who is passionate about Port Renfrew and would love to be part of creating the best visitor experience for all who visit!
The position requires an individual that is comfortable, has a friendly demeanour and can engage in with tourists from all parts of Canada. Knowledgeable about the Port Renfrew area and able to provide visitors with information on the local area sites. The Visitor Experience Specialist reports directly to the Economic Development Officer, while being primarily responsible for:
- Answer visitor inquiries by phone, social media, email, and in-person;
- Conduct general light office/grounds clean-up;
- Greet and welcome visitors in a friendly and welcoming manner;
- Identify the needs of the visitor and provide accurate and timely information on tourism related experiences in Port Renfrew and surrounding region;
- Keep brochure racks well-stocked, organized and order additional materials as needed;
- Maintain/Manage all social media platforms (@MyPortRenfrew);
- Post current information of interest to visitors such as Tourist Alerts, roads, and weather reports;
- Professionally represent the Visitor Centre while engaging with tourists outside the office;
- Promote the programs and services of WorkLink Employment Society, the Port Renfrew Chamber of Commerce and the Port Renfrew Economic Development Task Force;
- Provide excellent visitor and customer service;
- Record data related to visitors at the Visitor Centre;
- Respond within in a timely manner to all social media inquiries;
- Serve members and the community by promoting local products, businesses, services, and tourism experiences that will result in visitors extending their length of stay;
- Understand the importance of tourism and how it benefits your local community;
- Use discretion and judgment in dealing with confidential/sensitive documents and enquiries;
- Utilize available printed information resources and technology tools (iPad, maps, smart phone, computer, etc.) to provide accurate directions and information; and
- Completed additional projects as required.
- Ability to use smart phone, tablet, and computer internet search effectively
- Able to work independently/as part of a team
- Engage with people, hear their stories, and ask interested questions
- Fluent in English, second language an asset
- Interested in tourism, people, history, and the diverse cultures of the area
- Promote tourism products and provide clear directions and information
- Proven excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills to deal courteously and appropriately with people
- Strong social media skills (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) and proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Work well under pressure/demonstrate initiative
- The work will be conducted at the Visitors Centre in Port Renfrew.
- May be required to use personal vehicle.
- Will typically work a standard work week, but additionally may sometimes work evening, weekends, and overtime hours to accommodate the organization’s goals and overall service delivery plans.