The Empowering Abilities Project assists individuals with disabilities in overcoming barriers to employment by enhancing their employability to make a successful transition to employment or to return to school to further their career goal. The project consists of up to 10 weeks of pre-employment workshops followed by 12 weeks of a wage subsidy placement. The Employer Accessibility Specialist will provide support and information services to employers regarding legislation and workplace requirements when hiring an individual with a disability, conduct outreach activities and information sessions to educate employers to dispel myths and highlight advantages of hiring persons with a disability, work with clients to provide mentorship opportunities, provide onsite job coaching and client retention support.
Position Type: 1 full time contract
Contract Dates: Start Date ASAP to March 30, 2022, with a good possibility of renewal.
Reporting to: Project Coordinator/Disabilities and Inclusion Manager
Location: EAP Weston (time divide between EAP Weston & EAP Scarborough).
Number of positions: 1
Experience: 2 + years
Responsibilities and program activities are currently taking place both in person and virtually. They include, but are not limited to the following:
- Contacts and connects with existing employers to prepare them for the integration of a person with a disability into their workplace
- Presents information sessions concerning the advantages of hiring, diversity, retention
- Produces and distributes information tools such as a brochure dispelling the myths of hiring persons with disabilities
- Produces brochures that outline best practices of current employers that have employed employees with disabilities
- Provides education through workshops and brochures to better prepare employers and staff to work with persons with various types of disabilities and to provide information on accommodation strategies
- Tracks related statistics which may include number of employer material provided, type of material or resource accessed or requested, etc.
- Provides existing employers with resources to assist with upcoming changes to current legislation which may have an impact on their employee policies and procedures
- Provides hard copy of updated materials in relation to upcoming changes and impact(s) to personnel policies and procedures
- Helps employers to understand the need to develop or change existing policies and procedures to accommodate employees with disabilities
- Organizes workshops or seminars for employers as changes become implemented
- Connects with current employers and providing workplace assessments to assist with workplace integration
- Coach and help people with disabilities learn to perform to the best of their ability, as well as helping to sustain positive work morale
- Provides employment training workshops tailored to clients as needed
- Provides workplace coaching and retention support for program participants as needed
- Provides assessments on workplace spacing, signage, general layouts, health & safety assistance and supports prior to placement start date
- Produces educational webinars/videos to help employers learn about assistive devices and technological aids
- Works with existing employers to identify needs and accommodations of new hires to assist with workplace integration
- Acts as a resource providing information on technological aids and assistance available to the employee via the Opportunities Fund
- Provides success stories on the integration of individuals with disabilities into the workplace
- Produces documents for employers or employees with referrals for assisted service
- Offers new hire employee support in the form of continuous communication and follow-up, as well as referrals to additional community supports where required
- Acts as a community resource and provides community referrals to assist with employee and employer support, on a case-by-case basis. (i.e., stress management counselling, mental health counselling)
- Supports employers by acting as a resource and providing position specific training and certifications (WHIMIS, Smart Serve, Food Handler, and other employment related training in conjunction with the Career Foundation)
- Other duties as required
Qualifications / Skills Required:
- Must possess a degree and or diploma from a Human Services field, Marketing and/or Sales, combined with relevant experience
- Knowledge of vocational rehabilitation and or CVRP certification is an asset
- Experience and knowledge of accessibility standards and principles
- Superior written communication skills and detail orientation are a must
- Marketing knowledge is an asset
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Workshop facilitation skills
- Vocational counselling / placement and coaching experience with individuals with a disability is a must
- Experience with direct client case management considered a strong asset
- Knowledge of local labour market, job search strategies and techniques
- Must be willing to travel throughout the GTA
- Valid Ontario driver’s license and reliable vehicle is essential
- Flexible approach to work to ensure that all requirements of the project are met
About Us: The Career Foundation offers a wide range of career and job-related programs. Since its inception in 1988, The Career Foundation has steadily expanded its services. Operating out of seven locations, we now help thousands of people each year successfully accomplish their employment goals. For more information, please visit our website at www.CareerFoundation.com.
The Career Foundation is committed to diversity and inclusion and aims to create a healthy and rewarding environments for all. We welcome applications from qualified individuals who represent the diversity of the people we proudly serve, including, but not limited to, visible minorities, women, persons with disabilities, Indigenous peoples, and individuals of all genders and sexual orientation. The Career Foundation, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), is also committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. We will work with candidates requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
We are a professional, result-driven organization that has been described by our employees as caring, compassionate, innovative, and team-oriented.
We also offer:
- Competitive compensation
- A comprehensive health benefits plan that includes massage therapy, naturopath services, and travel coverage
- An Employee & Family Assistance Program
- An RRSP matching plan
- A wellness program