ICWA is a voluntary ‘not-for-profit’ registered charitable organization (www.icwaedmonton.org) serving immigrants in Edmonton since 1984. We are committed to helping new immigrants participate fully in the economic, social, and political life in Canada.
The ICWA has a challenging and rewarding opportunity for an Executive Director (ED) to lead and manage the operations of the organization.
As the successful candidate, you will be an agent of innovation and model of excellent organizational leadership skills with a track record of high-level achievement. You will bring a forward-thinking approach with a drive for continuous improvement and results.
The ED will have a mandate of increasing the Association’s profile and standing, enhancing funded program activity, providing supervision and mentorship to staff and volunteers, and ensuring full alignment between the ICWA’s mission and all programs and services.
The ED will be responsible for the interpretation and implementation of policies and regulations pertinent to the day-to-day operations of the Association. The ED will lead ICWA towards its vision under the general governance and strategic direction of the Board of Directors. Reporting to the Board President, the ED is directly involved in setting the long-term strategy and quality goals with the Board of Directors. The ED will work collaboratively with the Board of Directors, staff, membership, and diverse stakeholders of the Edmonton community
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implements the major goals and objectives of the Association in accordance with Board policies, advises the Board on the affairs of the organization, and carries out duties as assigned by the Board.
- Reports to the President of the Board of Directors
- Manages the annual budget for approval by the Board and is responsible for its execution
- Seeks out program funding opportunities and prepares proposals
- Provides a high level of support to the team, completing regularly scheduled meetings with all staff, one on one and team meetings
- Provides inspiring leadership by creating a culture of accountability and service, that is in alignment with our stakeholder and clients needs
- Achieves results with a focus on operational performance, stakeholder satisfaction, and employee engagement
- Reports promptly to the Board of Directors about any situations that may materially and/or adversely affect the ICWA mission and/or operations
- Works with the Board in establishing budget goals and related planning for the Association
- Ensures program objectives are met, including periodic reports to funders and auditors
- Advises the Board of staffing requirements
- Implements the hiring, onboarding, training, and supervision of staff
- Designs and implements the Association strategy for networking and relationship building
- Organizes community events and represents the Association at community events
- Networks and collaborates with agency partners, diverse levels of government, decision-makers, and community stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will possess the following combination of experience, education, skills, and personal attributes.
Experience and education
- Self-directed team builder with experience reporting to a Board of Directors.
- Minimum of 5 years experience working in progressively responsible leadership and/or operational roles.
- A definite asset will be a background of consistent success working in a not-for-profit environment, with fund development activities.
- Other assets: professional training in conflict resolution, crisis management, victim services, languages, and other skills relevant to social service provision.
- Post-secondary education and ongoing professional development in the area of management, social work, and/or a human service-related field.
- Please provide certification of equivalency (e.g. IQAS, WES) where the qualifications are international (i.e. from institutions outside Canada).
Competencies and skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to build relationships with staff, volunteers, and stakeholders
- An engaging and confident leader who is supportive and inclusive in their approach to problem-solving
- Drive and initiative in revenue generation, organizational networking, and operations development.
- Excellent knowledge of budgetary and accounting procedures
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to prioritize and delegate to achieve organizational goals
- Proficiency in remote work and hybrid workforce management and related tech platforms
- Exceptional technology skills in Microsoft suite of products, virtual platforms, and accounting software
Term, Salary, Benefits
The position is full-time permanent.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. The position is associated with health benefits, as well as the option of situational WFH/remote work.
Your Cover letter (1 page) and resume (3 pages max.) must provide concrete evidence clearly speaking to the advertised qualifications of the role.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those short-listed for interviews will be contacted.