The Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre exists to support and empower women and children living in extreme poverty in the Downtown Eastside of Vancouver. High levels of violence, homelessness, addictions and poverty characterize this community where women and children are particularly vulnerable to exploitation, injustice and injury. Through the Drop-In Centre and Emergency Shelter, we provide practical support to over 500 women and children daily to survive the conditions of ill health and violence that surround them.
The Peer Support Worker will work in collaboration with other DEWC staff to promote integrated services to women. She is responsible to uphold and understand the principles of peer support to women in securing practical services and needs. Working with DEWC employees, she takes responsibility that policies, procedures, and operational systems are implemented and followed throughout the shift. The successful candidate must work from a feminist analysis and within a strong anti-oppression framework while managing crises in the Drop In. She must identify with the goal of addressing barriers to uphold the seamless day to day functional operations of the Centre.
- You have at least 2 years experience working with low-income women, at least 2 years in a women serving or inner-city drop-in environment
- You will promote and articulate the mission, mandate, philosophy, and values of the Downtown Eastside Women's Centre and create positive relations with all stakeholders necessary in order to support DEWC objectives
- You are knowledgeable of the issues impacting women in the dtes, including gender-based violence, mental health, homelessness, and addictions with an understanding of trauma-informed care responses. You work from a feminist analysis and within an anti-oppression framework
- You have familiarity of referral with support services, agencies and community resources in the Downtown Eastside
- You have strong conflict resolution skills and practice
- You have demonstrated crises intervention training and experience
- You have excellent communication skills, including the ability to work in a respectful and cooperative manner with co-workers, and centre members
- You remain calm and focused while working within a chaotic and crises environment
- You have or will obtain a First-Aid, NVCI, and Food Safe Certificate
- You have the ability to prioritize situations and communicates accordingly while problem-solving rationally
Benefits of Joining the DEWC Team
- Healthcare: Extended health includes dental, vision, prescription medications, select alternative therapies, EAP life insurance and long-term disability.
- Vacation & Leave: Vacation at 6% in the first year and 8% after. Sick leave credit. Access to other special leaves to handle family or personal situations.
- Other perks: Employee loan program; Regular staff development days; DEWC employees are considered first for any open positions.
- Start Date: Sept 8/9 / Temporary – Full-time, Thursday-Saturday, Flex Wednesday Schedule 8:30am-6:30pm
- Union (BCGEU) - Salary - $24.23 per hour + generous health and welfare benefits
- Location – DEWC Emergency Shelter, 265 Hasting St., Vancouver
- Posting Closing Date: Internal – July 19, 2021 / External – July 26, 2021 at 5:00pm