Manager, Research, Public Policy and Evaluation
United Way Greater Toronto is looking for an experienced Manager, Research, Public Policy and Evaluation to join our team.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Research, Public Policy & Evaluation, the Manager will undertake the evaluation of programs and initiatives, conduct and support research projects, and contribute to public policy analysis in support of United Way’s strategic directions and priorities.
What you’ll do:
- Assist in the design of research and evaluation project proposals and work plans, and preparation of resource and budget estimates for projects undertaken by United Way
- Coordinate and/or carry out social and policy research and evaluation projects, including conceptualization, design, selection of methodology, information gathering, data analysis, report writing, presentation of findings and other knowledge mobilization activities, and post-project evaluations
- Bring an assets-based and solutions-focused lens to all social and policy research projects
- Integrate United Way’s Equity and Reconciliation Action Plan goals into research, public policy and evaluation workplans
- Select and apply the appropriate qualitative and/or quantitative research methods required to carry out social, economic and policy research and evaluations
- Perform simple statistical analysis
- Provide advice and coaching to colleagues on the development of research and evaluation plans, including data collection methods, analysis, and use of theories of change and performance measurement tools
- Monitor major research activities, public policy developments and evaluation practices relevant to United Way
- Prepare background reports and briefing notes on selected studies, reports, articles and policy developments
- Prepare briefing materials for senior management on research findings and their policy implications, on evaluation findings and the project management implications, and on legislative changes, government programs and public policy issues at all levels of government
- Assist in identifying and stewarding key partner relationships to advance the organization’s research, evaluation and public policy agenda
- Help to create forums for dialogue with government, funders, agencies and donors on topics impacting the human services sector and our strategic priorities
- Represent the United Way on community, coalition and collaborative research, public policy and evaluation initiatives, as well as on external committees and working groups
What you’ll need to be successful:
- At least 5 years experience in evaluation and social science research
- Experience in public policy analysis, development and advocacy
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, SPSS
- Knowledge of current social, economic and policy research and public policy issues affecting the community services sector with a preference for expertise in youth, newcomers, neighbourhood revitalization and/or community infrastructure
- Sound knowledge of the human services sector in the Greater Toronto area and of the socio-economic challenges facing the communities of Peel, Toronto and York Region
- Knowledge and experience with community-informed and community-engaged research methods and approaches
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize, plan, develop, implement research and/or evaluation projects; apply qualitative and/or quantitative research methods and perform simple statistical analyses
- Highly developed analytical skills with ability to conduct research and use independent judgement to problem solve
- Ability to influence, negotiate and manage contentious issues to resolution
- Proven organizational abilities and the ability to manage competing priorities and meet deadlines under pressure
- Excellent teamwork, interpersonal and constituent service skills including the ability to work respectfully and inclusively with a diverse employee population and multiple stakeholders
- Excellent attention to detail and proven track record of accuracy
- Master’s level degree or higher in the social sciences, urban studies, or related field, or equivalent work-related experience is preferred
- Experience working with Statistics Canada data sources is an asset
Does this sound like you? Show us your Local Love. Come and do great work at United Way Greater Toronto! Please apply no later than July 28, 2021
through our careers page www.unitedwaygt.org/career-opportunities
As part of our recruitment process, United Way Greater Toronto offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities. If we contact you about an opportunity, please let us know if you require accommodation.
About United Way Greater Toronto:
As the largest non-government funder of community services in the GTA, United Way Greater Toronto reinforces a crucial community safety net. United Way’s network of agencies and initiatives in neighbourhoods across Peel, Toronto and York Region works to ensure that everyone has access to the programs and services they need to thrive today. Mobilizing the network and other community support, United Way tackles #unignorable issues linked to poverty. United Way’s work is rooted in ground-breaking research, strategic leadership, local advocacy and cross-sectoral partnerships committed to building lasting solutions to the GTA’s greatest challenges.
Diversity & Inclusion:
United Way is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that reflects our diverse community to ensure we’re best equipped to serve it. We encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds and those who may need accommodation to apply to join our team. Our commitment to excellence in diversity goes beyond promoting equity. By incorporating a variety of experiences and perspectives, we create opportunities for innovative solutions and maximize the impact of our work.