Job Position: LINC Teacher - casual
Department: Newcomer Services
Status: Casual Positions
Location: Mississauga, Brampton & Virtual
Compensation: $33.00 per hour
Indus Community Services is an accredited, not-for-profit community benefit organization that has served local communities for over three decades. We are a registered charity, supported by our donors and by all three levels of government. Through our professional staff, we are a leader in the provision of culturally responsive services to newcomers, families, women & seniors.
Vision: To be leaders in building strong and inclusive communities.
Mission: We are a community benefit organization focused on building resilient and healthy communities by offering person-centered, anti-oppressive programs and services.
Under the general guidance of the Manager, the incumbent will design, plan, prepare and deliver virtual and in-person English language instruction to adult newcomers based on LINC curriculum guidelines.
Responsibilities and Duties: (but not limited to)
- Prepare detailed lesson plans that aligns with LINC Curriculum Guidelines from Literacy up to CLB Level 8 using principles of adult education
- Knowledge of PBLA to assess and progress learners based on relevant artefacts in all four skill areas
- Conduct a needs assessment and use innovation to design and provide effective, appropriate and motivational lessons geared to meet different skill levels within a class
- Adapt learner-centered teaching techniques to suit different learning styles that are consistent with accepted teaching methods
- Develop and maintain a positive and anti-bias classroom atmosphere where participants feel welcome
- Combine classroom teaching with computer lab instruction and apply ESL educational software as an effective teaching tool
- Plan and facilitate field trips and other events in conjunction with the Program Manager
- Maintain clear and accurate records of students and attendance into the HARTs and Google Classroom databases.
- Participate in professional development sessions and actively utilize information to enhance teaching
- Assist in program outreach strategies and facilitate referrals to community resources through Indus’s settlement programs
- Contribute and provide support as an active team player in the organization
- Work with the Manager to resolve any student related concerns that may affect program delivery
- Responsible for all teaching resources, i.e. textbooks, videos, audio cassettes, CDs etc
- Submit monthly reports and maintain up to date files on topics/themes covered within each session
- Participate in staff and team meetings, and professional development opportunities as required
- Mentor, train and assist student placements/volunteers in the classroom
- Additional responsibilities may be assigned depending on the emerging needs of our clients and the program
Qualifications and Skills:
- Related university degree with current TESL Ontario certification
- Minimum 2 years’ experience teaching English as a Second Language to adults at various levels & diverse cultural backgrounds
- Knowledge & experience of current LINC Curriculum Guidelines, Portfolio Based Language Assessment, Canadian Language Benchmarks & Principles of Adult Learning
- Ability to adapt teaching methodology to the needs/skill levels of individual learners
- Demonstrated sensitivity to the needs of adult immigrants and newcomers
- Effective communicator with superior verbal and written skills in English
- Strong computer skills in an MS Office environment including proficiency in LINC/ESL educational software, internet and email, and must have strong knowledge and experience with online learning management systems (e.g. Google Classroom)
- Ability to engage learners from all levels in a virtual learning environment
- Solid interpersonal, organizational and leadership skills
- Strong attention to detail and flexible to deal with changing demands of the job
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member
- A Police Vulnerable Sector Check will be required of the successful candidate
To Apply: Please click on the link to complete the Application Form by 12:00pm, August 3rd, 2021
This job posting is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Indus Community Services is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse populations we serve. We are committed to accommodating people with disabilities as part of our hiring process. If you have special requirements, please advise Human Resources during the recruitment process. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.