Job Position: Personal Support Staff
Department: Health Services
Status: Full-Time – 35 hours per week
Location: Mississauga & Brampton
Compensation: $19.00 per hour plus group health and RRSP benefits
Indus Community Services is an accredited, not-for-profit community benefit organization that has served local communities for over three decades. We are a registered charity, supported by our donors and by all three levels of government. Through our professional staff, we are a leader in the provision of culturally responsive services to newcomers, families, women & seniors.
Vision: To be leaders in building strong and inclusive communities.
Mission: We are a community benefit organization focused on building resilient and healthy communities by offering person-centered, anti-oppressive programs and services.
In collaboration with team members, Personal Support Staff (PSS) assists program participants with the activities of daily living. This facilitates their participation in the recreational and interest based Adult Day Service programs and activities. Work is completed in a culturally sensitive manner in one or more south Asian languages and English, consistent with the organization’s ethics, integrity and excellence standards in promoting a client centered philosophy.
Responsibilities and Duties: (but not limited to)
- Provide personal assistance to assigned program participants and backup support to other PSS for their assigned program participants.
- Greet program participants upon arrival, assist with outdoor clothing removal and store extra personal belongings securely.
- Assist with ambulation and transfers in the program areas.
- Use lifting assistance devices including mechanical lift where available.
- Accompany program participants between program settings as needed and based on their physical abilities.
- Provide all support for eating including full feeding assistance, setup of meals, according to program participants’ ability.
- Responsible for supporting assigned program participants and partner with other PSS to effectively manage to high needs program participant care.
- Work with other PSS to schedule the personal care/activity for program participants to achieve maximum convenience for each, and to maintain availability of the washrooms for general needs. Ensure washrooms are left in a suitable condition for the next user.
- Follow Care Plans as prepared by the Client Care Counsellor; including special care needs, toileting schedules, texture adjustments for meals and snack. Communicate any unusual events, or change of condition and identify any urgent concerns to the Client Care Counsellor.
- Use GPA (gentle persuasive approach) to ensure that program participants are related to according to their cognitive abilities
- Assist Food Service staff to deliver meals and snacks. PSS may be assigned food service work routine as needed.
- Provide medication assistance for program participants who take medications while in attendance.
- Tidy and put away supplies and restock and reorganize for quick access.
- Run laundry for clothing protectors, and any bed linens used by program participants.
- As scheduled and as needed provide safe bathing service to program participants or bathing service clients while ensuring their dignity and privacy.
- Accompany program participants to group activities, when core required duties are completed.
- Assist Life Enrichment Staff with conducting activities, only when core duties are completed.
- Participate in special events to assist program participants to fully participate.
- Train and supervise PSW student placements.
- Interact with the program participants in a professional and polite manner.
- Provide personal care in a discreet manner, in consideration of privacy and dignity.
- Ensure the safety and security of program participants at all times and conduct security reassurance checks.
- Advise Manager regarding any needed program supplies.
- Participate in staff and team meetings, and professional development opportunities as required.
- Adopt safe work practices, reporting unsafe conditions immediately.
- Perform other duties as required.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Personal Support Worker certificate/diploma from a College of Applied Arts and Technology; or a Private Career College and have a NACC certificate.
- Physically capable of performing duties which require a variety of movements and some lifting of supplies.
- Demonstrated experience and skills in working with the frail, elderly and demonstrated understanding of responsive behaviours, with applied knowledge of GPA in order to be able to respond effectively and appropriately; GPA or other cognitive behaviour training courses preferred.
- Familiar with mechanical lift devices.
- Must demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude, with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Self-directed, self-motivated with a positive attitude and be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and adjust to shifting priorities.
- Excellent oral and written English skills are required and one or more South Asian language.
- Proficiency in MS Office, Email and internet applications.
- Sensitivity to people from different socio-economic backgrounds with an equity lens.
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends and to work from any Indus work-site.
- A Police Vulnerable Sector Check will be required of the successful candidate.
- Current CPR and First aid certification will be required.
To Apply: Please click on the link to complete the Application Form by 12:00pm, August 3rd, 2021
This job posting is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Indus Community Services is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse populations we serve. We are committed to accommodating people with disabilities as part of our hiring process. If you have special requirements, please advise Human Resources during the recruitment process. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.