The Better at Home program supports senior’s wellbeing and independence by providing non-medical home support services. The Senior’s Outreach Support Worker (SOSW) will work with at-risk senior clients of the Better at Home Program to establish and maintain service. These at-risk clients require additional supports above what Better at Home’s light housekeeping services can accommodate. The SOSW will assess the client’s eligibility for the program and work with the client to address any barriers to service. This will include hands-on work in client’s living spaces, advocating on behalf of clients, and referring clients to appropriate community resources. The SOSW will work closely with the Supervisor of Better at Home to ensure every senior has an opportunity to access services that respond to their needs.
- Coordinates in-home interviews to determine eligibility for Better at Home services.
- Engages in one-to-one support with each client, identifying needs, barriers & concerns.
- Using a client-centered approach, collaboratively establish goals & strategies.
- Conducts follow-ups with clients to assess progress and ensure ongoing support.
- Maintains daily progress notes and other documentation, ensuring all required documentation is complete and accurate.
- Advocates on behalf of clients and refer clients to appropriate programs & services.
- Coordinates with stakeholders such as landlords, fire inspectors, health authorities, Better at Home contractors and family members where necessary.
- Ensures effective program delivery that is consistent with agency and program mandate, policies, procedures and program standards.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings, team workshops, agency trainings and professional development sessions and activities.
- Upholds and promotes an atmosphere of dignity and respect in line with the philosophy and policies of Archway Community Services.
- Report questions and concerns to the Supervisor, Senior Services
Requirements and qualifications
Education and Certification:
- Satisfactory Criminal Records Check
- Degree or Diploma in Human Services or related field
- Valid class 5 driver’s license
- One year or more experience working in an outreach capacity
- One year or more experience providing case management services
- Experience working with and advocating for vulnerable populations, specifically seniors, is an asset
Knowledge and Skill Set
- Ability to work efficiently unsupervised, demonstrating professionalism & confidentiality
- Strong in-person communication & rapport building skills
- Knowledge and understanding of barriers and challenges associated with older adults
- Working knowledge of referrals & services that meet the needs of seniors
- Demonstrate empathy & have a passion for working closely with seniors
- Driving to/from client’s homes.
- Independently conduct in-home intakes & follow-ups with Better at Home clients.
- Occasionally placed in situations of conflict where clients become rude or unpleasant.
- Use of a face mask is required during in-person services.
- Due to client vulnerability during in-person services, a complete COVID-19 vaccination is strongly recommended for this position.