Child and Youth Care Counsellor
Community Residential Program
About Us: Closer to Home Community Services (CTH) is a Calgary and Airdrie based not-for-profit agency that delivers a variety of services designed to meet the needs of vulnerable children and their families. Be a part of an innovative team that envisions:
- A future where every child will belong to a family and feel valued and secure
- All families can care for their children and contribute meaningfully in their community
- A broad array of strength-based and family-centered services that teach, coach and support families to create new possibilities and achieve better futures together
About the Position:
- This permanent full-time position, in Calgary, works closely with a team of professionals to support youth in a Community Residential Program.
- The Child and Youth Care Counsellor’s primary responsibility is to facilitate success for youth with complex needs by assisting with day to day activities and routines, maintaining a structured setting, fostering skill development, managing crisis, ensuring high levels of supervision to promote safety, assisting with school and providing relief coverage.
- Utilizing the Teaching Family Model, the Child and Youth Care Counsellor is responsible for youth’s acquisition of relevant skills which will support them to live safely and thrive in the community.
- The Child and Youth Care Counsellor will participate in individual supervision and team meetings, in-service training, and will work collaboratively with a transdisciplinary team to ensure treatment strategies are effectively implemented.
- You are eager to learn and carry out the principles and philosophy of Closer to Home and the Teaching Family Model.
- You are responsible, diligent and dependable.
- You possess exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- You are extremely detail oriented and organized and can manage multiple priorities at one time.
- You are a compassionate individual with a positive, strength-based and empathetic approach.
- You are an exceptional role model.
- Willing to work an unstructured work week, including days, evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.
- A Diploma or Degree in a related field is preferred
- Previous experience working with vulnerable youth and families is an asset (combination of education and experience will be considered)
- Knowledge and experience supporting children and youth exhibiting challenging behaviours
- Experience working in residential and community care setting - Group Homes (preferred)
- Experience working with children and youth with complex needs and multiple diagnosis (ADD, ADHD, Trauma, FASD, ODD, addictions, mental health, etc.), asset
- The successful candidate must also have a valid Alberta Driver’s License, reliable vehicle for work purposes, adequate and current insurance and be willing to provide a Driver’s Abstract upon hire. In addition, a Police Information Check with a Vulnerable Sector Search and an Intervention Record Check must be completed prior to commencement.
- Current CPR and First Aid Certification.
Required Competencies: All positions at Closer to Home Community Services require (5) competencies: Instills Trust, Consumer Focus, Communicates Effectively, Situational Adaptability and Ensures Accountability.
The salary range for this position is $51,700 - $53,800. We also offer an exceptional benefits package including vision, dental, extended health, disability, (2) weeks holidays and a generous Group Registered Retirement Savings Plan.
Closer to Home is committed to a workplace that reflects the diversity of the children/youth and families we serve. We value and promote inclusion throughout our organization.
Interested applicants are asked to submit their Cover Letter and Resume using the following link:
Closing Date: Until suitable candidate is found
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
For more information on our organization, please visit our website at www.closertohome.com.