Reporting to the Security Manager, the Junior Systems Engineer assists in the delivery of ongoing system operation activities at the CAC. Working within the Security Operations Team, the incumbent will implement, maintain, and actively monitoring security solutions, system configuration, hardware, software, and related infrastructure. This position will be responsible for implementing pre-defined project schedules, prioritizing work, and ensuring uninterrupted support to the Centre for Advanced Computing (CAC) and its clients.
• Participates in planning and implementing security measures to protect computer systems, networks and data.
• Proactively identify threats, vulnerabilities, and exploits and utilizing this information, installs, configures and leverages tools, processes and standards to configure, monitor, and audit systems and applications on a regular basis.
• Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of hardware, logging and event management, server resource allocation, systems and key processes.
• Install and configure hardware, operating systems, services, settings, storage, etc. in accordance with security standards and project/operational requirements.
• Review daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled/destroyed and sent off site as necessary. Perform regular restoration and disaster recovery testing.
• Document, and maintain installation and configuration procedures. Contribute to and maintain system standards.
• Recommend and implement innovative, and where possible automated, approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
• Work with CAC staff, partners, and clients to determine complex requirements and translate into actionable work plans through internal and external collaborations.
• Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
• Provide technical leadership and continuous support for CAC operational systems.
• Report on project status at regular meetings and when requested by management.
• Manage day-to-day operational aspects of project scope, timelines, and resources.
• Undertake other duties in support of the department.
• Bachelor’s (4-year) degree, with a technical major, such as engineering or computer science.
• 3 to 5 years’ relevant experience working within information technology field.
• Experience in network security, operating system security, Internet/web security, DLP, anti-malware, IDS/IPS, penetration & vulnerability testing, cyber security, and the ability to read and understand vulnerability bulletins, security event data from many sources.
• Familiarity with information security best practices.
• Experience with analyzing security events and exploits.
• Demonstrated expertise in Linux environments.
• Demonstrated experience managing compute cluster infrastructure.
• Experience in a research environment an asset.
• Criminal background check (CPIC) required.
• Consideration may be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Strategic and analytical thinking skills with an ability to solve problems and make decisions.
• Extensive knowledge of system availability, scalability, resilience, and security.
• Excellent attention to detail in order to install and configure systems according to standards and best practices.
• Strong organizational skills with ability to coordinate activities.
• Desire to enable “research excellence”.
• Demonstrated project management skills
• Determine appropriate problem-solving procedures and decide how to best rectify the problem. Decide when others need to be engaged to resolve issues.
• Allocate time, prioritize tasks and determine work flow. Continually assess and adjust priorities and manage tasks in a fast-paced and demanding environment.
• Ability to evaluate and make recommendations such as the purchase of new systems or software.
• Assesses the nature of a request and provides assistance to the customer as appropriate.
• Confidentiality is paramount therefore aptitude to differentiate what information is sharable when and to whom.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!