Job ID: 21-019EJHS
Edmonton John Howard Society (EJHS) is a CARF accredited community-based crime prevention organization that has been operating in Edmonton since 1949. Our mission is “through our programs and services we work to prevent crime and to help people affected by crime”.
The Edmonton John Howard Society provides the following:
- Strong focus on employee wellness and work-life balance
- Service recognition and employee awards
- Professional Development opportunities
- Staff teambuilding and appreciation days
- Competitive health, dental and RRSP benefits
We are a values-driven organization that supports clients from a strength based approach. If your values are aligned with our core values listed at: https://johnhoward.org/about-us/core-values, please consider joining our team.
NOVA provides young people between the ages of 16-24, who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless with a safe, affordable and supportive living environment. Operating primarily from a Harm Reduction philosophy, the program provides 20 beds as a low-barrier housing solution to those who are faced with multiple challenges. Caseworkers will work closely with the young person to identify goals, overcome barriers and transition to a permanent housing solution.
- Support a caseload (maximum 6 youth) by; assisting in the development and revision of youth’s goal plans, facilitating service team meetings (when required), openly discussing current challenges, advocating to external service providers (educational, work placements, legal, medical, etc.), providing relevant referrals (housing, addictions, counseling, etc.)
- Build positive relationships/rapport with youth to encourage healthy lifestyle alternatives (through active, supportive listening)
- Participation in formal and informal programs to assist the client in learning life skills (relationships building, anger management, sexual health, financial management, food preparation etc.)
- Accept referrals and complete intake paperwork.
- Maintain the information in the agency database and participate in program evaluation and statistical information as required by supervisor
- Maintain daily records and documentation.
- Ensure residents are provided with adequate food in accordance with the Canada Food Guide
- Assist in maintaining a clean environment for residents and staff
- Build positive relationships with related community agencies/partners
- Participate in an on-call rotation
Qualifications / Skills:
- Degree or Diploma in Human Services or related field
- Minimum 2 years experience working with marginalized populations
- Strong understanding of Harm Reduction
- Strong listening skills, relationship building, mediation and counseling skills
- Must be self-directed, flexible, team orientated and able to follow direction
- Able to follow the agency’s philosophy and core values
- Criminal Record Check, Child Intervention Check, and Standard First Aid and CPR
- A valid driver’s license is an asset
Conditions of Employment:
- The hours of work are Monday through Friday working 7AM-3PM one week and 3PM-11PM the next week.
- This is a position that requires frequent standing, walking up and down stairs, and occasional lifting.
- Interviews for the position will be conducted on August 11, 2021
- This position has an expected start date of September 1, 2021
The annual salary for this position is $43,000 with a competitive benefits package available upon successful completion of the probationary period.
Only those selected for interviews will be contacted
Safety and harmony in our community
Edmonton John Howard Society is committed to achieving a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from people of Indigenous heritage, and people from culturally diverse backgrounds