TITLE: Head of Operations (British Columbia)
DATE: July 2021
DEPARTMENT: Food Rescue
REPORTS TO: Head of Operations (Western Canada)
STATUS: Permanent Full-Time
SALARY: $60,000 - $65,000 Per Annum Plus Benefits
Second Harvest is Canada’s largest food rescue organization and expert in perishable food recovery. We rescue surplus, unsold food from across the supply chain and redistribute it to not-for-profits across the country to feed communities. Demonstrating our values of community, environment, integrity, and collaboration, we strive for No Waste. No Hunger.
In 2018, Second Harvest launched its innovative online platform, the Second Harvest Food Rescue App, which enables businesses to donate surplus food to not-for-profit agencies. It is an easy-to-use, free platform that helps users track and manage food donations, while ensuring edible surplus is diverted from landfill. Second Harvest is now operating across Canada and is poised to become the one-stop-shop for food recovery across Canada.
Second Harvest is looking for an adaptive, collaborative, strategic thinker to join our team as the Head of Operations (British Columbia). Reporting to the Head of Operations (Western Canada), this position is created to establish and expand Second Harvest into British Columbia as well as work closely with the national food procurement team to oversee and facilitate food distribution to agencies in the region. We are looking for a team player who can develop and lead strategically to get the job done.
- Develop and implement a regional strategy for continuing expansion of Second Harvest into British Columbia, working with the Head of Operations (Western Canada); identify and evaluate any barriers and risks associated with large-scale expansion.
- Build strong regional partnerships, working with many stakeholders including businesses and non-profits, to implement the program and meet all required deliverables.
- As the regional ambassador for Second Harvest, engage with diverse audiences to deliver presentations and participate in speaking engagements with the goal of increasing registration and engagement on the platform.
- Organize and manage each regional launch of Second Harvest.
- Support the Development department in securing new funding that will ensure long-term sustainability of the platform.
- Support the Marketing and Communications department to garner media interest and engagement that leads to increased awareness.
- Oversee ongoing reporting and data collection to support continued growth and optimization.
- Conduct on-site demonstrations of the Second Harvest Food Rescue App as well as terms and conditions audits with local organizations.
- Assess capability gaps and opportunities to improve the platform, working with the team to collect and identify issues and improvements to enhance the program.
- Collaborate with the Second Harvest leadership team to ensure program development accurately reflects the needs and priorities of our non-profit partners and industry standards.
- Manage regional staff and volunteers creating a positive team dynamic and monitoring performance and development goals; mentor success, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, evaluate results, and conduct annual performance reviews.
- Perform other related duties as required or assigned to support the overall goals of the organization.
- Strategic: you recognize and resolve situations that are ambiguous or challenging, focusing your efforts on meeting or exceeding goals.
- Partnership-Minded: you are a people person who makes friends easily and can leverage existing relationships to build program success.
- Naturally Curious: you’re innovative, extremely creative, and constantly looking for ways to improve upon things.
- Entrepreneurial: you have the initiative and drive to get the job done, and can find or build the resources needed for any task.
- Experienced in working in the non-profit sector.
- Experience working with food (food service, distribution, production, etc.), would be an asset.
- *Must be based in British Columbia; Able to travel across Canada and have a Valid Class G driver’s license (mileage compensated).
WHAT YOU’LL GET IN RETURN:
- A whole lot of fun.
- The opportunity to work for a purposeful organization.
- Competitive compensation and benefits.
For more information about Second Harvest, visit: www.secondharvest.ca