The Accounting / Finance Assistant performs a variety of clerical accounting and bookkeeping duties requiring a working knowledge of Excel, QuickBooks, and EasyPay (or a comparable accounting software), accuracy and attention to detail. This position supports the Controller in accounts payable functions and related clerk functions.
- Post-secondary degree/diploma, ideally in an Accounting related program (or an equivalent combination of experience and/ or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved)
- Computer proficiency and ability to use a variety of IT-related tools and technologies
- Previous work experience in an office setting
- Accounts payable, payroll and previous accounting experience an asset
- Must demonstrate and maintain positive relationships with staff and clients
- Must have above average interpersonal skills that are congruent with the organizational culture as a caring and compassionate company.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a small finance and support team
- Must be capable of grasping the organizational culture.
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must possess the ability to be diplomatic and confidential.
- Must possess good listening skills.
- Job requires sitting, standing, and walking. Normal work time spent indoors
- Occasional travel off-site to attend training or professional development opportunities
- A neat and tidy personal appearance is required; casual business attire
- Some flexibility as necessary
- Use of office equipment required: telephone, photocopier, fax machine, computer, software specific to programs
Provides general accounting support services
- Ensures all financial reporting deadlines are met
- Assumes responsibility for effectively researching, tracking and resolving accounting or documentation problems and discrepancies
- Keeps management informed of area activities and any significant problems
- Assist with audit preparations
- Attends and participates in meetings as required
- Completes special projects and miscellaneous assignments as required
Perform account payable function
- Receives and verifies invoices and match to purchase orders
- Entry of invoices and entry into Quickbooks
- Processes cheques and distributes for mailing
- Monthly accounts payable reconciliations, forwards discrepancies to Office Manager
- Maintains updated vendor files
Performs payroll function
- Verify program participant payroll information
- Entry into Easypay
- Complete calculations based on attendance
- Verify employer claims and reconcile to employer training agreements
- Prepares and verifies statements of earnings for participants indicating salaries and deductions
- Forward payments to Controller or Executive Director for ETF
- Ensures confidentiality and security of all financial files
- Provides information to management on payroll matters
- High degree of computer proficiency and familiarity with MS Word, Excel, Access, Email and Internet
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to perform multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Possess a reliable vehicle and $2 million liability coverage on auto insurance policy as some travel may be required of this position
- Must be a professional
Other duties commensurate to the position as assigned