Summary: Under general supervision, performs a variety of custodial and cleaning activities within the church as well as assists the Facilities Manager & Operations Lead with tasks as required.
Position: Part-time/20 hours per week, non-exempt (Thursday, Friday, (5 pm to 11 pm) and Sunday (7 am to 3 pm))
Working Relationships: Reports to the Facilities Manager & Operations Lead.
Responsibilities: Duties are illustrative and not inclusive and may vary with individual assignments.
- Performs general cleaning of all public areas per cleaning schedule and as assigned.
- Collaborates with the Head Custodian to ensure the scheduled maintenance of all public areas, equipment, tools, vehicles, and fixtures is completed.
- Empties trash containers, removes trash from all public areas and offices, and performs other custodial work as assigned.
- Responds to call-outs and emergencies as they arise.
- Sets up rooms for events in the building.
- Performs other duties of a similar level or nature.
- Vacuums scraps, dirt, heavy debris, and other refuse.
- Washes windows, interior walls, and ceilings.
- Empties trash cans and other waste containers.
- Sweeps, mops, scrubs and waxes hallways, floors, and stairs.
- Clears snow and ice from walkways and parking areas.
- Cleans, sanitizes, and ensures bathroom supplies are well stocked.
- Ensures the grounds are clean and orderly daily.
- Performs a daily security walkthrough of the building before arming the building.
- Moves heavy furniture, equipment, and supplies if required.
- Locks and unlocks windows, doors, and gates.
- Ensures that security and safety measures are in place in the establishment.
- Reports any safety, sanitary, or fire hazards to the appropriate department.
- Valid BC Driver’s license.
- A high school diploma or general education degree (GED) is required.
- Must possess strength, stamina, and mobility to perform physical work.
- Must be available for regular standby assignments and off-hours as required.
- Previous custodial and grounds experience required.
- WHMIS training is preferred.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Comfortable squatting, twisting, bending, and kneeling while using tools and performing maintenance tasks.
- Possess working knowledge of the methods, techniques, and materials used in custodial work.
- Ability to climb ladders and work from heights.
- Familiar with operating, caring for, and storing custodial equipment and supplies.