PERMANENT FULL-TIME POSITION (37.5 hours per week)
LOCATION: Provincial Office (380, 13401 – 108th Avenue, Surrey)
CLOSES: Posting will remain open until filled and will close without notice
ABOUT MÉTIS NATION BRITISH COLUMBIA
Métis Nation British Columbia (MNBC) develops and enhances opportunities for our Métis communities by implementing culturally relevant social and economic programs and services. Through teamwork, respect, dedication, accountability, integrity, and professionalism, MNBC strives to build a proud, self-governing, sustainable Nation in recognition of inherent rights for our Métis citizens, assisting in the delivery of services based on policy, process, and specified regulations.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
We are seeking a highly motivated, team-orientated individual to join our Finance team as an Accounts Payable Clerk.
Reporting to the Accounting Manager, the primary objective of the role is to ensure that vendors and employees receive prompt and accurate payments for services, products, and expense reports.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Completes payments and controls expenses by receiving, processing, verifying, and reconciling invoices
- Reconciles processed work by verifying entries and comparing system reports and balances
- Charges expenses to accounts and cost centers by analyzing invoice/expense reports, and records entries
- Processes, issues, and forwards authorized manual cheques for signing
- Pays vendors by scheduling and preparing EFT and cheque payments, resolving purchase orders, contract, invoice, or payment discrepancies and documentation
- Issues stop-payments or purchase order amendments
- Pays employees by receiving and verifying expense reports and requests and preparing EFT or cheque payments
- Maintains accounting ledgers by verifying and posting account transactions
- Verifies vendor accounts by reconciling monthly statements and related transactions
- Creates and maintains vendor files and practices effective vendor relations, including regular and professional communication
- Disburses petty cash by recording entry and verifying documentation
- Reports taxes by calculating requirements on paid invoices
- Completes credit card and bank reconciliations
- Monitors and maintains annual regional purchase orders
- Prepares and completes bank deposits
- Assists with preparation of various Finance reports, including month and year-end processes
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Diploma or degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in an accounts payable role
- Combination of relevant experience, education, and training will be considered
- Knowledge and/or awareness of the historical and contemporary contributions made by Métis people in B.C.
- Proven ability to utilize Excel
- Prior experience with Sage accounting software, an asset
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Ability to lead, problem solve, and utilize team-building skills
- Proven ability to utilize strong interpersonal skills to deal with others effectively
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and work with minimal supervision
- Proven ability to utilize, adapt and embrace new technologies and other database/software required by the role
- Other duties may be assigned as needed to help ensure the efficient operation of MNBC
- There will be a need to attend meetings and events which may require work and travel outside of the normal business hours
- Ability to provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s license and access to reliable personal vehicle for work purposes
The above requirements are what MNBC is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change based on needs.
Pursuant to section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference may be given to applicants who self-identify as Aboriginal (First Nation, Métis or Inuit). All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.