BCW in Action through its business entity Black Canadian Businesses in Action (BCB in Action) brings together entrepreneurs and professionals and provides them opportunities to grow personally and professionally through advocacy, education, leadership, networking, skill building, economic empowerment and programs. BCB aims to be the leader in building a strong western black business community, and support, promote and empower Black entrepreneurs to innovate and conquer national and international markets.
We pride ourselves on being the first Black led organization of its kind providing Business programs to the Black communities. In 5 years, our organization has a proven track record delivering programs and workshops for some of the Black business owners across diverse fieds like fashion and beauty, heavy industry, food and Retail Sectors, among others.
As a Strategy & Business Development Manager your main role will be to grow Black Business entrepreneurship and project base across the Western Canada, and internationally. Our unique position within the organizational landscape and progressive culture allows you to focus on a specific market segment that excites you and/or one that you may already have key relationships and experience in. The chosen candidate will bring a breadth of experience within the business entity and will be a specialist in creating dialogue and building relationships with both current and prospective Black Business Owners. This role is best suited for individuals that thrive under an autonomous work structure and are looking to empower the Black communities to reach their potential in Business.
You join BCW for a cause, you stay for the passion of serving others, you work to build an inclusive and prosperous Canada!
KEY ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Organizing programs and activities in accordance with the mission and goals of the organization
- Leading business development activities of products and/or services to Black entrepreneurs doing business in the Western, Canada and abroad
- Developing and implementing new programs and initiatives to support the strategic direction of theorganization
- Develop, implement, deliver and grow the entrepreneurship program and initiatives, which entails event planning, execution and evaluation including budgeting,scheduling, promotion/marketing, and reporting
- Determine measurable organizational goals and defining ways to achievethem.
- Implementing and managing changes and interventions to ensure project goals are achieved
- Providestrategic advice and guidance to the Executive Director through regular reporting and presentations
- Participate in discussions with advisory committee and provide them with information leading to strengthening programdelivery
- Support businesses and entrepreneurs in navigating and connecting with ecosystem players including help with accessing loans and grantfunding
- Supervise the development of an internal system for profiling clients and outcomes and the intake of new clients, early assessment, andassignments
Planning and implementation
- PlanningBCW in Action business activities by establishing tasks, objectives, and priorities
- Monitoring and controlling project progress, objectives, and costs against established schedule andbudget
- Identifying problems and deficiencies, ensuring necessary corrective measures are implemented
- Establish all business tools online directory, calendar, macro agenda, business tool kit (digital and physicalversions)
- Assessing and identifying new opportunities for growth in current and prospective markets
- Advises higher management on status or action required in connection with existing and potential business development opportunities
- May have budget responsibilities
- Determine staffing needs, based on programs, goals, and objectives and aligning to availablebudget
- Lead and manage a business team, including coaches, trainers and foster a positive, innovative, team-based and high-performance culture, ensuring exceptional results and relationshipswith stakeholders. Challenge others to develop as leaders while serving as a role model and mentor
- Create an environment where knowledge-sharing, support, training tools, coaching and staff foster a workspace that encourages creativity, innovation andgrowth
- Contribute to strategic planning and operational management of BCW inAction
Client, Communities & Stakeholder Relationships
- Building relationships with both internal and externalparties
- Communicating, motivating, and inspiringemployees
- Gaining influence, trust, and credibility within the organization to build and help foster partnerships and collaborative workrelationships
- Liaising with external business partners, other third-party organizations, and accompanyingExecutive Director to high level meetings and representing organization in the community
Events and New Initiatives
- Overseeing internal and external event coordination (including promotionalevents)
- Creating, developing and implementing marketing and communicationsstrategies
- Creating funding proposals, grant application and other strategies to help BCW in Action access resources that will enable organizational sustainability and development of other programs and tools that will support and empower BIPOC entrepreneurs
- Master’s degree in Business, Marketing or a related field, an MBA is preferred
- Previous experience working in a business development role (preferably)
- An entrepreneurial mindset with outstanding organizational and leadershipskills
- Experience in developing profitable strategies and implementing organization’svision
- Proven track record of generating new business and achieving revenuegrowth
- Solidbusiness acumen to drive stakeholder and community relations engagements while partnering with key influencers
- Demonstrated track record in effective management of people, projects, andbudgets
- Ambitious and target focused with drive tosucceed
- Proven ability to work in a team environment and ability to workindependently
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Business management or other related fields.
- At least 3-5 years’ experience in a management position.
- Outstanding leadership abilities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Working knowledge of the latest business policies and regulations.
- Demonstrable analytical thinking & business insight.
- Knowledge in Public Relation.
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Edmonton and Calgary (2 positions)
Salary: $65,000 - $80,000 per year
Closing date: Until a suitable candidate is found