Disability Support Workers - high behaviours (PART-TIME & Female only)
Hours of Work Per Week: 16hrs./week
Schedule: Hiring 2 weekend Saturday/Sunday shifts
#1 (Day Shift) 6:00am-2:00pm OR
#2 (Afternoon/Evening shift) 2pm-10pm
Number of Positions: 2
302-31 Edmonton Oak House
WJS Canada is hiring highly qualified Disability Support Workers to work 1:1 (one on one) with a young lady with complex behaviours and mental health concerns, who uses a wheelchair for mobility and is at risk for suicidal attempts/ideations.
**This position requires a female worker**
Client has challenges establishing healthy boundaries with family & friends. Working from a harm reduction and holistic approach, the Disability Support Workers (DSW) will work one on one with the client on ISP goals and life skills development, including money management, as well as to model healthy relationships.
Challenging behaviours occur on a daily basis and therefore, only applicants with ASIST Suicide training, experience with de-escalation techniques and a minimum of 2 years experience working with individuals with significant mental health concerns, high behaviors and/or trauma will be interviewed for this position. Please provide a cover letter detailing your suitability for this role.
* The $20.09 - $23.09/hr rate is the regular wage of $17.09 - $20.09/r plus the $3/hr complex needs rate*
In Your Role You Will
• Be motivated to work independently with the client towards achieving the goals set out in their Individual Support Plan (ISP); encouraging them during setbacks and celebrating successes with them.
• Model healthy relationships and setting boundaries
• Support/supervise complex behavioural, emotional and social needs/development (in the residence & during community activities); observing & documenting changes
• Use de-escalation techniques to deal with challenging behaviours
• Assist client in developing life skills within the home including household chores (meal prep, cleaning, etc.) in a consistent, healthy & safe environment and their community.
• Connect the individual with their family, friends & community and encourage healthy relationship building.
• Drive person in care (in your own vehicle) within the community and supervise/participate with the client in recreational, leisure, vocational (training/employment)activities.
• May be required to perform physical restraints (holds) on an individual to stop an individual from violent or destructive behaviours if risk to themselves or others.
• Assist in the design, implementation & evaluation of ISPs, program specific policies & procedures.
• Use computer program to write objective daily reports.
• Provide immediate support in crisis situations.
• Administer medication, first aid if/when necessary.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Work well in an environment with potential for verbal/physical aggression.
• MUST HAVE 2 year experience working with an individual with significant mental health concerns, aggressive behaviours, addictions and/or trauma.
• Prefer a Certificate, Diploma or Degree – Disability Service Worker, Special Education or related field; Grade 12 Diploma minimum requirement;
• Valid class 5 driver license (or GDL and 2 years driving experience) with clear driving abstract and reliable vehicle
• Clear criminal record check & social services involvement check (UPLOAD COPY IF AVAILABLE)
• Current First Aid/CPR and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention certification (NVCI or CPI)
• Training in Harm Reduction, Addictions, Trauma Informed Practice, Complex Needs, Behaviour Management.
• Confident & able to function in a crisis
What WJS Canada does
WJS helps people with developmental disabilities thrive in their communities through a variety of programs and services, including:
• Community-based homes and residential care
• Supportive Independent living
• Family support services, including respite care
• Day programs, community involvement, employment
• Behaviour, emotional and mental health support
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, supportive and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
• Generous benefit packages (for staff 30+hrs/wk) including: Employer-paid Dental & Extended Health with 100% prescription coverage, 2 weeks annual vacation to start and more!
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!