The Assistant Manager, Events, is responsible for client management and logistics of events across different Artscape venues. Reporting to the Senior Manager, Event Operations and working closely with the overall Artscape event team, local community, tenants and clients. The Assistant Manager, Events, is responsible for customer service and logistics coordination of events throughout the events portfolio, focusing on specific venues or event types. They are ensuring that client needs are met with a high-quality standard of service. Positively models and leads with the Artscape values of Creativity, Collaboration, Community, Integrity and Learning.
- In collaboration with the Artscape team, tenants and appropriate stakeholders, coordinate all venue-related logistics for events across APEV, focusing on specific venues or event types.
- Prepares cost-effective and thoughtful event estimates, technical briefings and part-time staff scheduling, which is in line with event requirements and technical equipment resources, in collaboration with the Manager, Event Staff and Technical Services Coordinator.
- Provides event information, requirements and occasional on-site supervision to part-time event staff, including stage employees who are members of IATSE B173.
- Leads weekly calendar meetings to communicate event logistics and proactively troubleshoot issues with the building ops and hub manager teams.
- Supports the Manager, Event Staff in performance management of venue staff by informing performance reviews, informing hiring and disciplinary actions and supporting staff training
- Work closely with event services teams in other properties to execute communication protocols and operating procedures, under the supervision of the Senior Manager, Event Operations
- Works collaboratively with the centralized Artscape Performance and Event Venues (APEV) sales team to ensure event-related administration is accurate and complete
- Assists the APEV sales team with site tours for potential clients
- Support the APEV sales team with existing clients who want to book future events.
- Supervise, direct, and coordinate the activities of vendors, personnel, subcontractors, as required
- Ensure health and safety guidelines are followed by direct reports, clients and caterers
- Act as Venue Supervisor or Venue Support Staff on an ad-hoc basis as required, as outlined in the IATSE B173 collective agreement.
- Act as a positive and professional representative for Artscape and Artscape Daniels Launchpad, modelling the Artscape values of Creativity, Integrity, Community, Collaboration and Learning.
- This role may require flexible hours to accommodate the event and/or client requirements.
- Manages client expectations, including assessing clients' needs and exercising good judgement to make appropriate recommendations for events and technical setups; meeting and communicating with clients throughout the event planning process.
- Maintain ongoing communication and coordination with tenants, clients and guests in a friendly and professional manner, demonstrating a collaborative spirit; Work closely with staff to troubleshoot, manage and minimize event services impact on Artscape members and tenants
- Develop trusting relationships with community members, ensuring they feel welcome to host events at Artscape.
- Prepare and supply clients (and suppliers and vendors where relevant) with event documents and packages promptly
- Coordinate and prepare event briefings, weekly calendar meetings, notes for event staff and other documents
- Reconcile reporting for invoicing, SOCAN, Fund Development, and other reporting as required
Other similar or related duties as assigned.
Technical Skills, Competencies, and Knowledge
- Have working knowledge of production practices for theatre, music, dance, and other entertainment or corporate events. This should include stage, set, sound and lighting design and implementation, stage management techniques.
- Strong organizational, planning and time management skills to coordinate conflicting deadlines and interruptions.
- Strong customer service and client management skills; ability to diffuse and mediate conflict while maintaining the policies of the venue
- Experience working in unionized venues
- Interpersonal, team building, and collaborative skills.
- Practical knowledge of employment, labour and occupational health and safety laws.
- Strong communication and negotiation skills to work with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Previous experience indirectly or directly managing a team of people
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Experience working with Salesforce is considered a strong asset
Transferable/ Enabling Skills, Competencies, Knowledge and Abilities
- Passionate, collaborative team environment in an open concept office.
- Varied hours including occasional nights and weekends.
- Consistent ability to interact with a wide range of temperaments and communication styles.
- Ability to stand and walk freely and quickly.
Corresponding Typical Experience and Credentials:
In attaining the above skills, competencies, knowledge and abilities, successful candidates in this role typically have:
- Minimum educational attainment/ training in the form of:
- Post-secondary attainment in theatre, events, project management or related field of study
OR equivalent knowledge, skills, competencies, and abilities gained through alternative education or experience
- Minimum progressiveexperience in the form of:
- 3 to 5 years progressive experience in:
- At least 3 years experience in a live performance or events environment: production management, stage management or venue management experience considered a strong asset
- Designations and/or certifications in the form of:
- Required: First Aid, De-escalation training
- Preferred: Customer Service training, sales, administration or project management
Salary Range: $41,300 to 55,880
Hiring Range: $41,300 to 48,590
To Apply: Please apply on our ADP portal. (https://www.artscape.ca/careers/)