JVS Toronto is a registered charity in the social services sector providing career and employment services. Our employees make a difference affecting local communities by connecting jobseekers to employment and helping employers build their workforce in Toronto and York Region. YouthReach connects youth with schools, community and business to help them achieve their goals. This position will help at-risk youth who have experienced conflict with the law to overcome barriers to success and find employment or access training/educational opportunities through self-directed job search, research and counselling.
Are you looking for meaningful work where you can make a noticeable difference in peoples’ lives? JVS Toronto will provide you with the opportunity to advance your career and give back to our community. To reward employees’ hard work, JVS Toronto offers a paid vacation allowance, health, vision, & dental benefits, an employee assistance program (EAP), and corporate discounts.
Employment Counsellor, Job ID #8040
Full-time/ One-year contract starting ASAP with possibility of renewal/ Scarborough
We’re looking for someone who will:
• Provide excellent customer service by helping youth clarify needs and determine actions/solutions through assessment, case management and counselling
• Possess knowledge of the Youth Criminal Justice System
• Carry out counselling and case management duties; prepare and facilitate workshops; refer clients to job development services
• Conduct extensive outreach and offsite intake as well as counselling on a daily basis
• Develop community contacts and points of service delivery
• Critique resumes and covering letters; facilitate Job Search related workshops
• Carry out some job development activities to place youth; connect youth with youth-serving organizations
• Maintain complete, updated files, case notes and documentation on a database, Salesforce
Flexible hours / evenings / weekends may be required for this position.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience:
• The successful candidate has a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized University in a social services or related program, and at least 1-2 years of relevant experience working with youth.
• You have a good knowledge and understanding of current legislation relevant to youth who are in conflict with the law.
• You understand the physical, developmental and emotional barriers that stand in the way of employment success and have the ability to take innovative and resourceful approaches to assisting youth in achieving their goals.
• You are able to prepare and write reports to agency standards and effectively engage a wide range of individuals and personalities in the employment counselling process.
• You comprehend professional issues and communicate effectively with professional peers, supervisors and clients.
• You are detailed, accurate and organized with knowledge of current local labour market trends, community services and resources.
• A Police Vulnerable Sector Check is required for this position.
Our ideal candidate will also have:
• Knowledge of a second language and a car would be an asset, as would certification from an institution such as VRA Canada or ICCI.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume & covering letter Here.
JVS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If you require accommodation in order to submit your application, please contact JVS directly.
Our agency embraces diversity and encourages all qualified candidates to apply.
We thank all applicants for their interest in our agency, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!