Schedule: 6pm to 8am (sleep 11pm - 7am paid at $15/hr)
Week #1: Sun, Thurs, Fri
Week #2: Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri and Sat
WJS Canada works to improve the lives of persons with developmental disabilities by encouraging them to be self directed and to make their own decisions. In order to build social, communication skills and life skills our team members offer support to encourage and enable independence, self expression and creativity in the persons we serve. Behavioral and health-related support is tailored to their individual needs.
During overnight hours the Nights Sleep Disability Support Worker ensures a consistent, healthy and safe environment for the persons in care and are available to provide immediate support in crisis situations. In the event of an emergent situation sleep staff will be responsible for awake responsibilities.
***This 14 hour shift position is 6 awake hours (at regular rate of$17.09-$20/hr). Sleep rate of $15/hr applies during hours between 11pm and 7am***
In Your Role You Will
• Be aware of the individual’s physical, social and recreational environments, taking action to minimize risks and maximize participation/inclusion.
• Implement person-centered plans designed to support and assist persons in a residential group or private home setting
• Assist individuals to develop personal home living skills or assist with direct care of high needs and/or medically fragile individuals, as required.
• Provide instruction, guidance and support in a helpful and supportive manner.
• Assist and support individuals to participate in a meaningful way in their personal life planning definition of personal goals.
• Model socially appropriate behaviours (for the individual and the community).
• Administer medical administration or first aid, according to prescribed procedures.
• Participate in shift exchanges, staff communication and communication of issues or concerns.
• Maintain required documentation.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Minimum Grade 12 High School Diploma
• MANDATORY - One (1) year experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities, mental health concerns, complex needs, etc.
• Valid Class 5 Driver License with clear driving abstract and reliable transportation
• Clear criminal record check and social services involvement check
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right / responsibility to define and pursue their life choices, and pursue active participation and involvement in the community.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada's mission is 'Strengthening people and communities with innovative, individualized services'. The support we provide for families, emphasizes building relationships to enhance the family's strengths and achieve goals that address their needs for support in areas of struggle. Services are individualized and based on the family's belief that their own internal resources can be strengthened and that other helpful skills can be developed. For more information on WJS, services and career opportunities, visit www.wjscanada.com
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, respectful and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
• Generous benefit packages (for staff 30+hrs/wk) including: Employer-paid Dental & Extended Health with 100% prescription coverage, Employer-paid AD&D and $5,000 Dependent Life, 2 weeks annual vacation to start and more!
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!