Community Disability Support Worker – Bonnyville, Alberta
Week#1: Mon 8p-9a sleep shift (Maple), Tues 10a-3p (Main), Wed 12p-8p (Maple), Thurs 10a-3p (Main), Fri 12p-8p (Maple), Sat 9a-5p (Maple )
Week #2 : Sun 9a-5p (Maple), Tues 10a-3p (Main), Wed 12p-8p (Maple), Thurs 10a-3p (Main), Fri 8p-9a sleep shift (Maple)
Working various shifts (days, overnights and weekends) in two program homes:
29 hrs/wk @ Program 338-37 Bonnyville Maple House
12 hrs/wk @ Program 338-33 Main Residence
WJS Canada's Community Disability Services team in Bonnyville works to encourage persons with developmental disabilities and mental health challenges to build on their strengths, further develop life skills, overcome barriers and become involved in their community.
The Community Disability Support Worker provides individuals with physical, behavioural, emotional and social supports/supervision both in the residence and the community, using the “tell-show-do” method and positive reinforcement to support the client to acquire/reacquire competencies in: self-help; life skills; job coaching; cognitive retraining; memory aids, etc.
*Sleep hours are paid at $15/hr*
In Your Role You Will
• Implement person-centered plans
• Help the individuals dream about possibilities, plan and achieve.
• Assist individuals to develop personal home living skills, sometimes hands on care is required.
• Assist with household chores (meal prep, cleaning, etc.)
• Maximize participation/inclusion within home & community
• Drive person in care (in your own vehicle) within the community.
• Participate in vocational, recreational, leisure activities.
• Minimize risks in the client`s physical, social & recreational environments .
• Model socially appropriate behaviours for the client & community.
• Work with minimal supervision & cooperate with team members to solve problems, resolve conflicts and make decisions.
• Medication administration or first aid, as needed.
• Collect/file information, prepare correspondence, Individualized Service Plans, and progress reports according to agency, ministry and accreditation standards.
• Participate in shift exchanges & log notes.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Min. 1 year experience working with persons with a developmental disability or mental health diagnoses.
• Grade 12 Diploma or schooling in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education, LPN, Healthcare Aide, Nursing, etc
• MUST HAVE - Valid Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License; reliable vehicle, clean driver’s abstract and adequate insurance - as you will be required to drive clients to community activities, medical appointments and other services.
• Skills in coaching/assisting individuals in life skills, anger management, daily chores, self help & problem solving, etc.
• Committed to philosophies and principles of community based living for individuals in service.
• Good computer skills - as all files are electronic
• CPR/First Aid & Abuse Protocol training
• Non Violent Crisis Intervention training
What WJS Canada does
WJS helps people with developmental disabilities thrive in their communities through a variety of programs and services, including:
• Community-based homes and residential care
• Supportive Independent living
• Family support services, including respite care
• Day programs, community involvement, employment
• Behaviour, emotional and mental health support
Our Employees Enjoy
• Safe, supportive and caring team environment
• Training programs to ensure professional development and career development
• Flexible hours
• Generous benefit packages for full time employees including, extended health, dental, AD&D, Dependent Life Insurance.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!