Family Support Worker - St Paul, Alberta
Schedule: Flexible 40 hrs/wk may include some evenings & weekends to accommodate supporting youth & family schedules
Help WJS Canada build strong families who are resilient to life’s challenges.
Family Support Workers in our Family Preservation Program emphasize building relationships to enhance the family’s strengths and achieve goals to overcome areas of struggle. Individualized services are based on the belief that the family’s own internal resources can be strengthened and other helpful skills can be developed.
Family Support Workers work directly with families, youth and children in St Paul and community. As primary caseworker, they counsel and provide therapeutic interventions under the Signs of Safety model, by coordinating family care teams to provide support and ensure best outcomes for families.
Working a flexible schedule, the position will require the Family Support Worker to work regular office hours, as well as evening & weekend hours, up to 40 hr/week. Flexibility is required in order to support families during evenings & weekends when they are gathered together & require the most support.
**Qualification requirements deem this to be Family Support Worker Level 2.**
In Your Role You Will
• Travel in own vehicle to family homes and communities in the service area (St Paul, Ashmont, Elk Point, Two Hills, etc) – travel reimbursed.
• Work with Children’s Services staff to provide home-based services to promote the well-being of youth & children in their homes, as well as parent support and education, aimed at family protection and preservation.
• Establish trusting relationships with youth, children & families, while assisting them in the development of interpersonal, communication skills, daily living skills, and other areas of interest.
• Some evening and occasional weekend work is required at times, as this is the time when families with children are together and is often a stressful time for families.
• Connect children & families with support networks, outside agencies and community resources and organize ongoing service delivery.
• Work with youth & adults who need intervention, are living a lifestyle that is considered high risk ( i.e. prostitution, addictions, etc) and/or at risk of suicide or harming themselves
• Follow prescribed case management plans, including maintaining accurate client file & program documentation and record of client activities and consulting on case files.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Social Work Diploma or Degree in Social Work, Youth Work, Social Service Worker, Addictions, etc.
• 2+ years social work experience in family support/intervention, youth work, trauma, etc.
• Previous experience in developing community events and projects to engage with youth and families, is desirable.
• Knowledge of the Child, Youth and Family Enhancement Act
• Knowledge of aboriginal culture is an asset
• Suicide Intervention and Prevention Training and cultural sensitivity
• Clear Criminal Record and Child Welfare Intervention check
• Driver’s License, vehicle with appropriate insurance, and clean driver’s abstract
• First Aid / CPR Certificate
• Highly motivated, and able to work independently
What WJS Canada does
WJS keeps families strong through a variety of programs and services, including:
• Family Reunification, Preservation and Support
• Home Visitation
• Supported Family Time
• Family Group Conferencing
• Family Finding & Engagement
• Child Protection
• Personal and Family Counselling
• Early Intervention or Diversion Programs
• Driver Escorts for Families
Our Employees Enjoy
• Generous benefit package including: Employer-paid Dental & Extended Health with 100% prescription coverage, 3 weeks annual vacation to start and more!
• Safe, respectful and caring team environment
• Training programs and career development
• Flexible hours
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!