Program Manager, Community Connections Program
Options Community Services Society
We are a non-profit registered charity providing social services primarily in Surrey, Delta, White Rock and Langley. We believe in helping people help themselves. We believe in collaborating with individuals, businesses, community groups and government to create focused, effective and responsive resources for the community.
We envision a healthy community as a safe and clean environment where we all have a sense of belonging. It is a place where each of us has the opportunity to work and learn, and to develop and realize goals that are meaningful and fulfilling.
The Community Connections Program provides immigrant and refugee newcomers in Surrey and Delta with the tools and knowledge necessary to establish themselves in Canada. The program aims to encourage newcomers to participate in community events in order to build stronger bonds and increase their sense of belonging in a diverse environment. We are seeking an individual for the position of Program Manager who will lead us to our next phase of growth.
In co-ordination with and reporting to the Senior Manager of Immigrant Services, this position manages all aspects of the day-to-day operation of Community Connections Program, including the supervision of a minimum of 6 staff and multiple volunteer assignments. They will ensure that goals and objectives of promoting volunteerism, engaging in community events, and delivery of language classes. This position provides recommendations and input on Annual Division/PQI and Program Plans; develops and implements all initiatives related to the marketing of program activities; identifies emerging needs and assists the Senior Manager to prepare proposals for grants and program funding.
HIGHLIGHTS OF KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
• Maintains a strong working knowledge of local, Provincial and Federal Immigrant and Settlement Services, resources and a broad range of settlement/community connections/literacy/language services related to immigrants and refugees.
• Maintain effective relationships and liaisons with government, stakeholders, service partners, volunteer community groups and other community organizations to co-ordinate the provision of services, foster partnerships and collaboration and exchange information. When appropriate and directed by the Senior Manager, will represent Immigrant Services and OCS in the broader community.
• Supervise and monitor program expenditures within the existing budget allowance of just over half a million dollars, and makes budget recommendations in consultation with the Senior Manager of Immigrant Services.
• Responsible for managerial duties that include:
In consultation with the Senior Manager, the Program Manager is responsible for determining appropriate program staffing levels, recruitment including interviewing, selection of candidates and making recommendations for hire.
o Confidential personnel matters:
In consultation with the Senior Manager, the Program Manager may be responsible for preparing confidential Board documents if necessary, on sensitive personnel matters, and recommending actions to be taken.
o Discipline and assistance with discharge:
In consultation with the Senior Manager, the Program Manager is responsible for supervising employees, identifying and responding appropriately to employee misconduct, including implementing disciplinary procedures.
Education, Training, and Experience
• B.A. in Social Sciences or relevant combination of education and experience.
• Minimum of three years’ experience and demonstrated success in a supervisory role.
• Experience in Project/Program Management.
• Experience in a community based non-profit society.
• Experience working with volunteers.
• Class 5 Driver’s License and reliable vehicle an asset.
• Current Level 1 First Aid certificate an asset.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
• Strong written, oral and presentation communications skills in English; additional language an asset
• Proven supervisory skills.
• Proven Marketing, Public Relations, and Program Management skills.
• Ability to prioritize, problem-solve, and exercise good judgment and can work under pressure.
• Excellent time management skills.
• Required to work in a dynamic environment which may call for adaptation to emerging trends/demands. A high level of motivation and sensitivity is required to effectively deliver services to a variety of individuals and to supervise a diverse group of staff.
• Highly motivated to complete tasks/duties/daily maintenance in a timely manner.
• Ability to represent OCS in a positive and professional manner when in contact with the community-at-large.
• Demonstrated competency for and understanding of a Community Development Approach and Community based Service Delivery model.
• Ability to work effectively with program staff, volunteers, and non-profit or publicly funded groups, agencies and organizations.
• Ability to identify sensitive issues and maintain confidentiality.
• Strong understanding of social service programming and resources, multiculturalism and immigrant/refugee issues.
• Strong communication, interpersonal/relationship-building and conflict resolution skills, as well as intercultural competency.
• Strong level of computer proficiency; in particular, strong Microsoft Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Excel spreadsheet, internet/email, scanning skills and comfort with desktop publishing (MS Publisher).
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, multicultural and diverse environment.
• Ability to work independently, set priorities, manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
• Flexibility and willingness to work outside of regular work hours.
• Good team work and strong work Ethics.
• Must be sensitive to and respectful of cultural and lifestyle diversity.
Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Reference Check/Vulnerable Sector Search preceding your start date.
Applicants with lived experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!