SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Activity Leader plans, develops, and implements recreational, social, and/or educational activities for children/youth who visit Club programs and strives to create a fun and enjoyable atmosphere in order to encourage participation in programs.
- Helps to ensure that the social/recreational needs of the children and families who visit the Club are met.
- Leads programs that follow BGC program standards, guidelines, and policies.
- May participate in the development of individual plans for participants as needed.
- Encourages and facilitates the participation of individuals in the program by creating a fun and enjoyable atmosphere in order to enhance the program’s appeal to participants.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of new trends in activities programming.
- Maintains awareness of any problems (medical, behavioural, or other) experienced by participants and informs the Programmer or Coordinator as applicable.
- Maintains appropriate records and statistics and ensures that all required documentation is accurate and complete (e.g., incident reports, daily log sheets, member systems, etc.).
- Models appropriate behaviour and dresses appropriately for the specific program needs.
- Recognizes volunteer rights and supports and cooperates with volunteers in the programs.
- Informs the Programmer or Coordinator as applicable of any problems or concerns regarding participants, Jr. Leaders, Volunteers, etc.
- Adheres to program policies, procedures, child protection procedures, and other protocols from training and team meetings.
- Attends scheduled staff meetings and training sessions.
- Ensures that the facility is safe and clean during all activities and that supplies, etc. are put away after programs.
- Cooperates and works with the Club services staff in carrying out safety/emergency procedures.
- May be assigned to lead specialized programs or do one-to-one work as appropriate.
- Other related duties as required.
- Clean Criminal Record Check (Vulnerable Sector).
- Post-secondary training/courses in recreation or a related field.
- Experience working with groups of children in a social recreational setting and in planning activities.
- Second language and experience working with culturally diverse people are assets.
- Excellent interpersonal behaviour and communication skills.
- Proven organization and time management skills (must be able to be on time for all shifts).
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a larger team.
- Valid First Aid Certificate
- Class 4 drivers license is an asset
Positions will remain open until filled.
Thank you in advance to all persons who apply for this position. Please note that only those selected for interview will be contacted.
BGC recognizes the value and importance of building and sustaining a culturally diverse environment and commits to intentional efforts to reflect that (along with our values) in all that we do. BGC has always been committed to diversity, and we believe that articulating our commitment to it in this way will support the ongoing evolution of this in our work going forward.
For employees, participants, volunteers, donors, and the community, we demonstrate that commitment through:
- Recruitment, employment, development, and promotion practices that are barrier free
- Encouraging representatives of diverse identities (race, national or ethnic origin, language, spiritual beliefs, age, gender, sexual identity, marital status, family structure, political beliefs, mental or physical ability, or socioeconomic status) to apply for available positions, participate in programs, and/or engage with BGC
- Making decisions based solely on an individual’s qualifications, merit, performance, and organizational needs