Mental Health and Substance Use Centres offer a range of self-referral services that provide support for people 19+ years of age who are experiencing mental illness and substance use problems in the community. Services available through the centres include assessment, treatment, individual and group therapy, referrals to supportive housing, residential programs and community support services, transition of care between services, older adult programs, crisis intervention and peer support.
The Mental Health Worker under the Supported Living programming provides support and facilitates activities within the components of the Delta Mental Health services. They facilitate recovery-oriented services and provide, coaching, education, training and resource support to clients, families and other stakeholders. The successful candidate will be required to work at our locations in North Delta, Ladner and Tsawwassen.
HIGHLIGHTS OF KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assesses clients regarding key components of psychosocial rehabilitation.
- Assist clients in their own homes and in the Community to promote increased independence and self-determination. This may include supporting clients with cooking, budgeting, attending and providing transportation to appointments when necessary, community integration and life skills.
- Chart notes on clients’ progress including statistical data. Provides accurate reports on clients’ progress made towards goals and objectives as required. Provide feedback and motivation to clients on an on-going and individual basis, via regular recovery plan reviews, re-visiting and re-evaluating goals and highlighting accomplishments.
- Collaborates with other professionals as needed. Liaises with other community services and organizations.
- Monitors clients’ well-being with the ability to recognize potential mental health emergencies and respond appropriately.
- Adheres to the policies and standards of Options Community Services, as established in policy and program manuals, Health & Safety Guidelines, job descriptions, written memos, and verbal agreements.
- Establishes a dignifying and purposeful relationship with clients, contacting and getting to know them as unique individuals with unique recovery journeys.
- Assist clients in their own homes and in the community to support increased independence and self-determination. This may include assisting clients with cooking, budgeting, attending appointments by either providing transportation when necessary, or teaching transportation routes/methods as required, etc.
- Ensure program facilities and equipment are well maintained and safe.
Education, Training, and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree or a related combination of education and experience. Social Service/Mental Health Diploma or Certificate Worker.
- Current Level I First Aid certificate.
- Food safe Certification is an asset.
- Unrestricted Class 5 Drivers License.
- Must have a reliable vehicle for business use.
- Lived experience relevant to the service setting is considered an asset.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of psychosocial rehabilitation practices.
- Good organization, time and general management skills.
- Commitment to a problem solving approach.
- Demonstrated proficiency in written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop program related reference and resource materials.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a staff team.
- Ability to set priorities, manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to identify sensitive issues and maintain confidentiality.
- Must complete a six (6) month probationary period before staff are permanent employees, unless otherwise specified by contract conditions.
- Have no relevant criminal history.
Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Reference Check/Vulnerable Sector Search preceding your start date.
Applicants with lived experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
Resumes will be reviewed starting August 31, 2021 but the posting will remain open until filled and will close without notice.