Position Title: Director of Community Real Estate and Operations
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Department: Property Services
Pay Grade/Scale: Commensurate with experience
Schedule: 8:30am-4:30pm, Monday-Friday (75 hours bi-weekly)
Location: Victoria, BC
How to apply: Please apply directly through our website https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=5f9591e7-cc87-424f-9d47-098215837f81&ccId=19000101_000001&lang=en_CA.
Pacifica Housing Advisory Association (Pacifica Housing) has been providing safe and affordable homes for almost 35 years and is one of the largest non-profit housing providers on Vancouver Island. As a charitable organization, Pacifica Housing's vision is to provide Equitable housing in pursuit of thriving communities. Our mission is to advance independence of individuals and families through equitable housing and supportive services. Our values are Authenticity, Leadership, Respect and Social Justice.
Pacifica Housing is a rapidly growing organization dedicated to meeting the housing and support needs of our community. As such, we are committed to building up our fast-growing team with a culture that supports and drives our people and reinforces our team with caring, responsible innovators. Pacifica owns and/or operates 38 properties in addition to a number of programs. The annual budget is approximately $21M and the total staff complement is around 160 employees.
Pacifica is proud to be a Certified Living Wage Employer by The Living Wage for Families Campaign. A living wage is defined as the hourly amount a family needs to cover basic expenses and is calculated based on the cost of living for that region. Providing a Living Wage is beneficial to the economy, community and employees.
Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Community Real Estate and Operations is a member of Pacifica’s Executive Team and is responsible for all aspects of day to day property operations and related service delivery. The Director also works closely with the CEO to manage new development and capital projects. Overseeing a team of dedicated staff, consultants and contractors, the Director will act in the best interest of Pacifica at all times, working to ensure its long-term stability and financial viability while helping address the urgent need for affordable housing.
Pacifica is seeking a strategic systems thinker that is able to draw upon analytical skills, business acumen, relationship building, property and project management experience to integrate ideas and solutions that strengthen the organization. The ideal candidate is mission driven and embraces that, at its core, the prudent management of Pacifica’s assets is in service to the community.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, this position this position plays a key role in providing effective leadership, management and support in the following areas:
- Oversight, coaching and mentorship of the Property Services team and their service delivery.
- Working closely with the Supportive Services Department to ensure a high standard of service delivery to a diverse internal and external stakeholder group (internal departments, tenants, clients, funders, neighbors, etc.).
- An Asset Management approach that seeks out procedural and operational efficiencies that maximize the use of resources.
- Ensure updating and implementation of a 10-year capital plan.
- Work with the Chief Executive Officer and consultants to complete and then implement Pacifica’s 10 year strategic development plan.
- Team management, coaching and mentoring
- Provide oversight to the property services team.
- Support managers through coaching, mentoring, guiding problem solving and professional development.
- Undertake regular check-ins, team meetings and performance management as needed.
- Support the managers in creating leadership plans and work plans so they can model the same process with their teams.
- Service Delivery
- Lead efforts to pursue continuous improvement in internal and external customer service.
- Lead the property services team and work closely with the supportive services department to minimize suite turnover times and vacancy rates.
- Oversee efficient service delivery to tenants by ensuring maintenance requests are completed in a timely manner.
- Provide monthly executive reports and updates on key performance indicators.
- Update processes and procedures in line with sector best practices and ensure they are followed.
- Asset Management
- Lead the completion and implementation of an annual preventative maintenance schedule, suite inspections and property inspections.
- Lead the team in completing the development of standard operating procedures.
- Oversee procurement processes and ensure the appropriate use of quote requests, purchase orders, standing offers, RFPs, etc.
- Oversee contractor management and ensure satisfactory service delivery and value.
- Oversee work of the Project Managers to track capital project progress and cost control in close collaboration with consultants, contractors, and funders as may be the case.
- Ensure the implementation and updating of Pacifica’s 10-year Capital plan.
- Work with the Finance Department on the general liability annual insurance renewal, to ensure Pacifica assets are adequately insured.
- Oversee insurance renewal, maintenance and use of all assets used for service delivery such as motorized vehicles.
- Work with the Finance Department to identify financial and operational efficiencies.
- Prepare for the expiration of operating agreements.
- Real Estate Development
- Support the work currently being conducted by consultants to complete a 10 year strategic real estate development strategy.
- Work closely with the Chief Executive Officer to coordinate the implementation and resourcing of the plan once completed.
- Possess up to date and comprehensive knowledge of municipal, regional, provincial, and federal affordable housing capital and operational funding programs.
- Undertake funding program under-writing analyses in-house to assess the viability of redevelopment opportunities for both existing assets and potential acquisitions.
- Develop and maintain relationships with governmental funding agents and stakeholders.
- Provide consultant, contractor oversight of various development and redevelopment projects through completion.
- Support tenanting new projects and overseeing resolution of deficiencies.
- Work with consultants to lead municipal approvals processes including assembling required documents, and consultation with neighbors, elected officials and stakeholders.
- Work with our Fund Development Manager to seek out funding opportunities, including alternative sources of funds, and developing a funding and financing strategy.
- Participate in community engagement efforts with support from communications and engagement professionals.
- Collaborate and maintain positive relationships with all teams in Pacifica.
- Engage and maintain positive relationships with funders and multiple stakeholders.
- Provide timely and respectful responses to community inquiries or complaints in the spirit of our good neighbor policy.
- Engage and consult with sector peers to support problem solving and decision-making.
- Identify and develop partnerships and maintain strong relationships.
- Develop risk assessment and mitigation strategies and provide regular project and strategy progress reports.
- Provide financial/budget expertise related to real estate development and construction, in close consultation with the Director of Finance.
- Other projects or duties that may arise from time to time.
Qualifications (minimum Education and Experience requirements):
- Master’s degree or an equivalent combination of post-secondary multi-disciplinary education and work experience in Engineering, Architecture, Urban Planning, Urban Land Economics or a related field.
- 7-10 years’ experience in Property/Asset Management and maintenance.
- 7-10 years’ experience with management and/or control of capital projects and/or real estate development.
- PMP and Risk Management designation an asset.
- Demonstrated experience and success leading and coaching a team with over 5 years supervisory experience preferred.
- Experience in the non-profit housing/social services sector an asset.
Note: An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Expert level project and contract management skills.
- Strong financial acumen with experience developing and managing capital budgets,
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as problem solving and presentation skills.
- A skilled negotiator.
- Proven dispute resolution skills.
- Knowledge of the Residential Tenancy Act, Health and Safety regulations, and sector best practices.
- Knowledge of tendering and procurement practices is essential.
- Excellent management and leadership abilities.
- Proven ability to work effectively and collaboratively with stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal awareness and an ability to work as a positive member of a team.
- Sound judgement and decision making skills.
- Excellent knowledge of computers and software applications such as Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, Outlook, Yardi, Access, Project, SharePoint, etc.
Additional Criteria for Role:
- Completion of a Criminal Record Check before employment commences.
- Must have valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle with a minimum of $2 million liability ‘business class’ insurance.
- Must be available for crisis management and emergency situations, as required.
- Able and willing to travel.
What we Offer:
- A mission driven collaborative working environment
- Career development and internal advancement opportunities
- Organization and individual training opportunities
- Wellness Time
- Benefits Package for full-time employees (includes extended health & dental, life insurance, among others)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Social Committee
- Competitive RRSP Contributions
- Competitive Vacation Entitlements
Pacifica Housing advises all employees, contractors and volunteers of the risk of violence, injury and harm that is present in the execution of their duties. Pacifica Housing is committed to providing a safe and risk-free work place, however, we acknowledge the inherent risk in social housing and direct support work while in homes and in other support relationships.
Behavioural Competencies Assigned to the Role:
- High level of empathy and caring.
- Creative thinker.
- Strong results orientation.
- Sound analytical and decision making abilities.
- Understands complexity and ambiguity.
- Highly accountable and fosters this in others.
Pacifica Housing is an equity employer and encourages applications from women, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, First Nations, people of all sexual orientations and gender identities. All qualified individuals who would contribute to the further diversification of our organization are encouraged to apply.