The Creative Options program offers day programming and job preparation to adults (19 years and older), with a wide range of developmental disabilities including challenging behaviour. The program currently serves a maximum of 25 individuals per day with many long term individuals. Creative Options provide the people we serve with individualized support programs to maximize progress and independence, support unique strengths and qualities, and encourage integration into the community. Individuals work with a chosen WJS staff who would then coordinate their activities. Our employment development program is designed to meet the needs of individuals who have expressed a desire for employment and require the skills, training and practical experience. We focus on pre-employment skills and move between goal setting, barriers to employment, career explorations, time limited work experience and training phases to the best of their abilities. We seek employment opportunities for job ready participants in the Langley/Aldergrove area.
Choices Day Services offers services to individuals who are generally 55 years of age and older who are, based on needs, ready for a slower paced environment and/or shorter days. Choices currently serves 10 individuals per day. The program shares a spacious corner unit that is wheel chair accessible and is centrally located in the business heart of Langley. It is close to all amenities, transit, local shops and restaurants.
Under supervision, the residence worker (RW) is responsible for assisting persons served to live successfully in residential settings in an accredited agency. Ensures physical, emotional, social, educational and medical needs are met. Assists persons served to enhance quality of life with activities of daily living and the development of life skills. Provides behavioral support and supervision in the program and community, implements and monitors individual service plans through observation and accurate reporting, and participates in operating and maintaining the program. This position requires membership with CUPE.
One (1) temporary part-time positions with weekly schedule of 30 hours per week:
• Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 0900-1500 at the Choice's Seniors Day Program
• Wednesday 0900-1500 at Creative Options
• Duration of this temporary position is dependent on return of incumbent
In Your Role You Will
• Participate in assessing, setting goals, and planning (individual program plans, personal service plans) for individuals in program; documents, implements and contributes to program evaluation.
• Provide life skills training such as meal preparation, housekeeping, personal care skills and personal finance; implements personal service plans.
• Assist clients with activities of daily living such as feeding, lifts, transfers, hygiene, grooming and toileting, including transfer of function duties such as gastrostomy feeding, tracheostomy management, and suction and bowel management as required.
• Participate in various client-focused activities in accordance with care plans.
• Recognize, analyze and deal with potential emergency situations such as client’s aggressive behaviour to ensure no harm comes to the client and/or the public; reports problems to supervisor.
• Administer medication to clients in accordance with established policy and procedures.
• Assist with case management by identifying potential problems and reporting any difficulties; provides input to counselor or professional regarding the development of appropriate program plans to achieve residents’ objectives; contributes to the evaluation of residents’ progress and prepare reports.
• Provide emotional support and feedback to residents and their families.
• Transport and assist residents to appointments, shopping or leisure activities; operates motor vehicles safely and legally while transporting clients or on WJS business.
• Perform residential maintenance and housekeeping duties such as laundry, sweeping, mopping floors, mowing lawns, inventory, shopping, cleaning equipment and food services.
• Maintain reports such as statistics, logbooks and daily activities relating to clients.
• Identify social, economic, recreational and educational services in the community that will meet clients’ needs; maintain liaison with other agencies, professionals, government officials, and the community.
• Utilize practices that promote health, welfare, safety and security of persons served.
• Participate in the OHS Committee as required.
• Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as required.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• A certificate, diploma or degree in one of the humanities, social work or related field. Other combinations of education and experience may be considered.
• Minimum of one year recent related experience in a community-based setting, or a combination of relevant education and experience.
As an ideal candidate, you possess:
• Previous experience with operating a licensed home and trauma informed practice
• Training in substance use is an asset
• Training / work experience dealing with sexually intrusive behaviours is an asset
• Familiarity with Housing First, Harm Reduction and Employment First initiatives
• Valid CPR/First Aid, WHMIS, and Food Hygiene and Sanitation certificates
• Valid BC Driver’s License and clean driver’s abstract
• Non-Violent Physical Crisis Intervention Certificate and Conflict Resolution Certificate
• Positive behavior supports experience
• Clear physician’s note confirming suitability, including a negative tuberculosis screening test
• Successful candidate must sign an oath of confidentiality, a conflict of interest statement, abuse protocols and a code of ethics statement.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!