This is a casual position with no guarantee of hours. Although there are no weekly hours of work guaranteed for this position, there is the potential of working up to 24 hours per week during the current pandemic. Flexibility in scheduling is required. The work schedule is determined in consultation with your supervisor and may vary according to requirements of responsibility. . Schedule may vary according to requirements Days, Afternoons, Nights, Shift rotation and weekends, Others as required. The operational hours of this facility are 24 hours per day.
Normal location of work is at 5050 Jepson Street, Niagara Falls, ON
This is a unionized facility.
Interested applicants must respond in writing with a cover letter and resume.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world. Each position contributes to the mission of The Salvation Army.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
· Adaptable and therefore able to adjust to changing events and ensure that the needs of the Resident are met.
· Exhibits perseverance with a work ethic reflecting a solid dedication to the Home’s mission statement.
· Communicates in a positive proactive manner and projects a solid, mature presence, reasonable assertiveness and a good perception while relating to Residents, families, staff, visitors and the interdisciplinary team within the Home. Willingly resources the RN for support and direction when situations present themselves.
· Is cooperative, open to new directives and approaches while demonstrating some creativity in striving to improve and enhance the service delivery.
· Exhibits competency and loyalty to the Nursing profession, the Home’s mission statement, the Resident and is a proactive member of the interdisciplinary team.
· Confidentiality is imperative on and off duty in matters pertaining to the Residents, staff and other home related business.
· Adheres to the dress code of the Nursing Department.
· Continued competence evidenced by personal investment of time, effort and other resources to improve knowledge, skills and judgment and annual updating of CPR.
· Gives direct assignment of Resident care for HCA's/PSW's.
· Assures adequacy of care provision by HCA's/PSW’s.
· Assures Resident needs are followed up appropriately.
· Provides health teaching for Resident/families.
· Assists in evaluating Resident’s needs & development, implement and evaluation the holistic plan of care for each Resident.
· Revise & update all Resident care plans as care needs require, in addition to assigned Resident documentation.
· Documentation in Resident’s chart/ Progress Notes & keep Resident care plan current and accurate to demonstrate care required as per CNO Standards & Guidelines.
· Communicates to the RN residents’ needs, concerns, changes, etc.
· Provides for administration of medications to assigned Residents and documentation as directed and in accordance with the guidelines set forth in the Standards of Nursing Practice for Registered Practical Nurses of Ontario and as directed by the Ministry of Health & Long-Term Care.
· Transcribes physicians’ orders.
· Provides for Residents’ treatments as directed.
· Assists with the orientation of new staff and/or students.
· Communicates to other departments concerning Resident changes and/or safety or equipment concerns.
· Provides input into staffing, equipment/supply needs.
· Provides for interpretation and implementation of department policies/procedures
· Provides information to Residents/families concerning changes in care provision, services, etc .in a professional manner.
· Provides for a safe environment for self and others.
· Takes charge during evenings and night shifts in the facility if RN not available. The Director of Care must be consulted in case of an emergency or in an unusual situation.
· Other duties as assigned
· Adhere to safety policies/procedures for self and Residents.
· Is familiar with the Health and Safety policies of the Home.
· Practices safe working habits as outlined by Occupational Health and Safety and WHMIS
· Improves personal knowledge through attendance at in-service education, seminars and works towards upgrading own nursing skill, and to keep informed of changes in LTC and care provisions when courses are made available within the facility. Attendance at Registered Staff meetings is expected
· Drafted MOH standards suggested at least 20 hours annually of education.
· Staff is encouraged to attend education sessions outside of the facility as well on their own.
· Practices good body mechanics and safe techniques in manual or mechanically lifting, transferring, transporting and positioning Residents.
· Assesses Residents for the proper transfer
· Responsible for the assessing of restraints and changes of position of Residents under his/her care and documents according to policy and procedure.
· Receives and processes Physician orders as per the Nursing Department’s policies and procedures and as regulated by the Standards of Nursing practice.
· Assist in the Performance Evaluation of HCA’s/PSW’s on an annual or as deemed necessary basis.
· Nursing Staff must follow all departmental and Eventide Home Policies, Procedures & Guidelines. All Health & Safety Rules & Regulations such as W.H.M.I.S Ontario Regulation 860, Control of Exposure to Biological or Chemical Agents Regulation 833, & W.S.I.B. First Aid Regulation 1101 must be followed. and the expectations statement of the Nursing Department
· All staff must work in a safe manner.
· Staff must advise co-workers of any potentially dangerous situation.
· All Quality Assurance paperwork must be up to date & handed into the Director of Care as per assigned duties.
· Staff must be familiar, follow, and assumes full responsibility for appropriate response to Fire Safety, Bomb Threats, Evacuation Plans & Workplace Violence Policies.
· Work performance must be completed to the satisfaction of the Director of Care.
· Current registration as a Registered Practical Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
· Currently certified in CPR.
· Three years’ experience in a Long-Term Care setting preferred.
· Demonstrates a keen interest in geriatrics.
· Demonstrates her capability by working under the supervision of the RN and implementing the nursing care needs of the Resident as required.
· Possesses organizational skills.
· Exhibits leadership qualities.
· Communicates effectively, both oral and written.
· Knowledgeable in the current Standards of Practice established by the College of Nurses of Ontario.
· Displays good physical and mental health; able to tolerate constant walking and standing, is able to lift and turn & transfer Residents as required
· Strong oral and written communication skills
· Self-motivated and disciplined
· Provide an original copy of a Background Check with vulnerable sector screening
· Screening through The Salvation Army Abuse Registry.
· TB test is required
· Support for and an understanding of the mission and purpose of The Salvation Army in Canada.
· NOTE: Alternative combinations of education and experience may be considered
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation.
If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
Internal Applicants, please advise Department Heads of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!