This is a casual position with no guarantee of hours. Although there are no weekly hours of work guaranteed for this position, there is the potential of working up to 24 hours per week during the current pandemic. Flexibility in scheduling is required. The work schedule is determined in consultation with your supervisor and may vary according to requirements of responsibility. The operational hours of this facility are 24 hours per day.
This is a unionized facility.
Interested applicants must respond in writing with a cover letter and resume.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
- Provide for a clean/tidy environment for the residents and in staff work areas.
- Exhibits patience, understanding and respect for residents and their families and is expected to be diligent in carrying out assigned duties in and efficient and timely fashion.
- Politely refer questions from family members or visitors to the Director of Resident Care or RN in charge.
- Confidentiality is imperative on and off duty in matters pertaining to the Residents, staff and other Home related business.
- Assess basic needs of the residents and follow-up accordingly, asking direction from charge nurse / RPN regarding a change in a residents health care status and whenever necessary.
- Provide all general nursing care and personal care to both male and female residents, providing &/or assisting as required with:
- Daily baths/dressing/ general grooming
- Tub baths/shower weekly/or more frequently as required, assist in/out of bathing system
- Oral care / mouth care of permanent teeth & denture care.
- Nail care / finger and toenail care (except Diabetic or compromised Vascular Disease conditions).
- Eye care, including eyewear
- Shaving of facial hair / makeup as requested
- Lifts & transfers, as to position resident in a position comfortable to them
- Toileting as needed/responsible for ensuring bed pans and commodes are clean after use and ensure proper use and application of designated incontinent products for each individual resident.
- Spot cleaning of accidental soiling of floors as required.
- Check daily BM records and assist resident with bowel management as directed by the RN.
- Carry out treatments as directed;
- Creams /ointments, skin care, turning/positioning, passive exercises, catheter/peri care
- Testing urine, specimen collection, walking programs.
- And all other physical assistance required by our residents.
- Prepare body of resident after death for viewing and transfer to funeral home.
- Assist with dietary needs as required;
- Transporting residents to/from the DR
- Transferring residents to chairs
- Preparing & supervising the meal, (cutting meat etc.)
- Providing tray service to ill residents/return trays to kitchen after use
- Providing drinks/nourishments
- Monitoring residents with feeding problems
- Feeding/encouraging resident with their meal as necessary
- Monitoring intake and providing follow-up
- Provide for socialization needs;
- Transport to activities
- Assist with activity programs as needed
- Spend time visiting with residents who are lonely
- Provide reassurance to residents/families
- Reports to the RN/RPN any concerns/ changes in condition regarding residents and accepts and abides by the decision made by the RN regarding care of residents, & documenting as required by the facility.
- Assist in development/revision of individualized resident care plans
- Participates as a member of the multidisciplinary team in the development of care
- Adhere to safety policies/procedures for self and residents.
- Practices safe working habits as outlined by Occupational Health and Safety and WHMIS
- Is familiar with Fire policy and procedure manuals and responds to fire and other emergencies.
- Practices good body mechanics and safe techniques & adhere to lifting policies and procedures and lifting assessments, in manual or mechanically lifting, transferring, transporting and positioning of residents.
- Is knowledgeable of the proper use of the mechanical lifts & follows proper procedures.
- Staff must be familiar, follow, and respond to Fire Safety, Bomb Threats, Evacuation Plans and Workplace Violence Policies.
- Adhere to the dress code of the Nursing Department.
- Perform other position related duties as required.
- Graduate of PSW program
- Experience in Geriatrics Preferred
- Knowledge or experience with;
Use of Bath aides & Whirlpool Tubs
- Use of Mechanical Lifts
- Use of other transfer aides
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Self-motivated and disciplined
- Provide an original copy of a Background Check with vulnerable sector screening that is satisfactory to The Salvation Army, in its sole discretion, is required. The screening is secured either through the National Canadian Policy Information Centre (CPIC) or through a local police detachment.
- Screening through The Salvation Army Abuse Registry.
- Support for and an understanding of the mission and purpose of The Salvation Army in Canada.
- NOTE: Alternative combinations of education and experience may be considered
Conditions of Employment:
- Days, Afternoon, Nights
- Shift Rotation and Weekends
- Must be available and willing to work shifts and weekends as required.
Normal location of work is at 5050 Jepson Street, Niagara Falls, ON
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation.
If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
Internal Applicants, please advise Department Heads of your intentions prior to submitting your application