TITLE: Human Resources Coordinator
DATE: September 2021
DEPARTMENT: Human Resources
REPORTS TO: Human Resources Manager
STATUS: Permanent Full-Time
SALARY: $45,000 - $50,000 Per Annum Plus Benefits
Second Harvest is Canada’s largest food rescue organization and expert in perishable food recovery. We rescue surplus, unsold food from across the supply chain and redistribute it to not-for-profits across the country to feed communities. Demonstrating our values of community, environment, integrity, and collaboration, we strive for No Waste. No Hunger.
The Human Resources Coordinator is responsible for supporting Second Harvest’s Human Resources in the areas of recruitment, new hire orientation, contract and payroll administration, benefits, training, and information management. Serving as a representative of the Human Resources department and the organization as a whole, this position will liaise with new and existing staff, providing professional and positive interactions at all times.
Recruitment and New Hire Orientation:
- Post job advertisements online; organize and sort job applications for hiring managers.
- Schedule and conduct preliminary phone screens with shortlisted candidates; schedule job interviews and assist in the interview process.
- Complete reference checks and background checks for new hires.
- Prepare new employee files and enrollment in HRIS system (BambooHR); draft employment letters and benefits documentation for new hires.
- Work collaboratively with hiring managers, IT services provider, and Office Administrator to ensure that new staff equipment (computer, work phone, business cards, etc.) are configured and ready in time for first day.
- Prepare and ensure completion of required training for new staff.
Contract, Payroll and Benefits Administration:
- Draft contracts for review and ensure prompt advancement through the approval process.
- Prepare and send time off reports (vacation, sick days) to Finance team for payroll processing.
- Complete benefits enrollments and distribute benefits cards for staff.
- Advance training requests through the approval process.
Information Management and Reporting:
- Maintain current HR files and HRIS system for the organization; ensure that employee updates (changes of address, job history, salary updates, benefits information) are recorded on all relevant portals and files.
- Ensure training catalogue is updated, and maintain records of learning offer, uptake, and outcomes.
- Update HR metrics, compile reports, and provide assistance in draft presentations or other communications upon request.
- Perform other related duties as required or assigned to support the overall goals of the organization.
- Organized: you have a keen attention to detail; your excellent time management skills, coupled with the ability to multitask gets things done.
- Collaborative: you have a positive, inclusive working style; your past colleagues would call you a “team player”; you enjoy helping others and build trust by working with honesty and transparency.
- Communicative: you have a knack for making complex ideas seem clear and simple; team members and peers always know what you’re up to; you have strong communication and interpersonal skills, superior customer service, and diplomacy.
- Post-secondary education in Human Resources, Business Administration, or equivalent experience; CHRP designation or actively working towards the designation would be considered an asset.
- Minimum of 1-2 years of demonstrated experience in a Human Resources capacity.
- Computer literacy, including effective working skills with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook required.
- Previous experience working with an HRIS system and ability to present data visually would be considered an asset.
- Adheres to a high standard of ethical and professional behaviour, and able to maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
For more information about Second Harvest, visit: www.secondharvest.ca