Black Creek Community Farm
We are an 8-acre farm in the heart of Jane and Finch neighbourhood in Toronto. We are a
not-for-profit organization and a leader in Toronto’s dynamic urban agriculture and community food
sector. We serve and enrich our community through a thriving farm, healthy food, as well as hands-on
training and learning experiences. Our focus is to inspire the next generation by providing leadership
in food justice and supporting diverse and social ecosystems.
BCCF is looking for a new Executive Director that has roots in the Jane and Finch community and a
clear and inspiring vision for the farm.
Scope of Work
Strategic Planning & Community Vision:
The Executive Director is responsible for developing and executing the short and long-term strategic
goals of the organization, organizational policy development and implementation, and evaluation of
projects and campaigns. By engaging with the leadership of the Steering Committee, the ED leads the
strategic planning and visioning process of the farm, ensuring the work of the farm is rooted in
advancing food justice and community priorities.
Leadership and Management:
The Executive Director provides leadership and direction on all aspects of BCCF work within the scope
of the organizational mission, vision, and strategic plan, with guidance from a strong and active Steering
Committee. This includes direct oversight, management, and execution of BCCF’s work. The Executive
Director leads the BCCF Management team in supervising and mentoring BCCF staff and supporting
their professional development, as well as ensuring all necessary policies and procedures are followed.
Fundraising and Communications:
The Executive Director is responsible for securing and growing the financial resources needed to carry
out BCCF’s mission. This includes developing and executing a multi-year fundraising plan and
cultivating support from individual donors, organizations, and foundations. The Executive Director is
responsible for successfully securing funding from foundations, organizations, and government partners
to support BCCF’s vision and mission. As the primary spokesperson for the organization, the Executive
Director is the public face of the organization, and will regularly give media interviews and public talks,
organize events, and strengthen strategic relationships within and outside of the organization.
● Strategic planning and implementation, works with the Steering Committee and staff to ensure
that the mission of the BCCF is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community
● Supervise managers in ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality, and
encourages an inspiring and collaborative working environment
● Create and manage an annual organization budget, tracking and adjusting income and
● Work with BCCF staff to ensure that the farm and the other BCCF programs complement one
another and achieve the BCCF mission
● Work with Steering Committee, providing regular reports on finances, programs, and relevant
BCCF work in time for SC meetings
● Work with the management team to develop and implement performance assessment and
review systems for use by the Management team
● Demonstrate behaviours in line with our Mission, Vision and Policies outlined in the FoodShare
Toronto and Black Creek Community Farm Manual
● Represent BCCF in the community to media and funding sources
● Lead planning and evaluation processes for all programs using a community and participant
centred approach that fosters community engagement, public accountability and the delivery of
high quality programs and community activities
● Consult and collaborate with partners, community service providers and groups to ensure
service coordination and delivery
● Identify, develop and manage various partnerships with community agencies, funders, local
businesses and community members to provide accessible services
● Maintain monthly reports and statistics
● Collect, summarize and analyze statistical reports
● Other duties as assigned
Required Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
● Demonstrated commitment to principles of food justice.
● Existing connections in the Jane/Finch community.
● Organizational leadership within nonprofit or community organizing spaces
● Proven track record in fundraising from government, foundations, and individuals
● Demonstrated ability to inspire, lead, motivate and develop project coordinators and effective
cross departmental program/service delivery
● Strong organization management and organization skills, with the ability to research, and
initiate new programs, as well as track and evaluate program results
● Proven ability to formulate and develop creative and sound operational policies, procedures
● Ability to manage multiple projects, set priorities, know when to say no, and to meet
● Strong community development focus, with the ability to operate effectively in a constantly
● Ability to build strong relationships with diverse groups of internal and external stakeholders
● Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; proficient at a level appropriate for
● Demonstrated experience managing administrative and financial activities associated with
program operations including report and grant writing, and budget management
● Strong attention to detail
● Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills
● Cultural or linguistic fluency as highly represented in the Jane/Finch community, is an asset.
● Proficiency in MS Office applications, Google applications, and comfort utilizing social
Note: If you do not meet all of the above criteria, but you do think this job is perfect for you, we would
still love to see your application.
Description of Work Area
● This position's main work location during Covid-19 pandemic will be from home with
occasional farm visits.
● Working outdoors in all kinds of weather (heat, sun, rain, cold)
● Working some evenings and weekends and holidays
Location(s) of Position: Black Creek Community Farm, 4929 Jane Street
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!