The BCCF Farm Manager will oversee all aspects of the BCCF Market Garden and on-site food
production, which includes supervising the staff and volunteers who work with the market garden, food
forest, community garden plots, chickens, and bees. The overarching goal of the Farm Manager’s role
is to help improve the efficiency, productivity, and profitability of the market garden and on-farm growing
spaces, while ensuring community residents have access to food production spaces and the produce
that we grow. This position is part of our management team that works collaboratively to shape a
positive work culture and deliver programs and services that advance BCCF’s food justice-centered
mission and vision.
We have an interim Farm Manager in place this growing season, and are open to applications
from people looking for a Farm Manager role starting in the 2022 growing season.
Note: If you do not have all the qualifications listed, but you think this job is perfect for you, we would
still love to see your application.
Market Garden Planning, Supervision, and Farming
● Develop, implement and manage an annual plan for the whole site (including community
gardens, chickens, bees and other on-farm growing spaces) including production, marketing,
staffing, and financial plans, with the support of the Executive Director and the Management
● Lead all aspects of crop production, including soil management and field preparation,
greenhouse seeding and seedling management, transplanting, direct seeding, weeding,
irrigation, harvesting and post-harvest handling of produce.
● Lead the distribution and marketing of the farm produce.
● Improve upon and implement fertility, weed, pest and disease management plans.
● Create and manage an annual farm budget, track and adjust income and expense forecasts.
● Hire, train and supervise other market garden staff, interns, work share members, and
volunteers in all relevant aspects of crop production and marketing.
● Facilitate farm team meetings, and oversee the seasonal work plan as well as weekly and daily
“to do” lists.
● Develop and implement performance assessment and review systems for the market garden
● Maintain all relevant crop records and maintain the organic certification of the farm.
● Oversee maintenance of farm implements, infrastructure, tools, and supplies, and budget for
repairs, replacements, and upgrades.
● Collect data and write monthly reports on market garden production and activities.
● Work with all BCCF staff to ensure that the farm spaces and the other BCCF programs
complement one another and achieve the BCCF mission.
● Demonstrate appropriate behaviours in line with our Mission, Vision and Policies outlined in the
FoodShare Toronto and Black Creek Community Farm Manuals.
● Understand the importance of the volunteer-staff partnership and integrate the value of
volunteerism in interactions with community members, volunteers, donors, and staff.
● Other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
● Demonstrated commitment to the principles of food justice and anti-oppression.
● Minimum 2 years of direct work experience managing a market garden / diversified vegetable
● Demonstrated ability to work within a diverse community (people of different ages, abilities and
● Interest in teaching and desire to work with the public.
● Demonstrated experience developing and implementing crop plans.
● Competency safely using BCS tractor and implements.
● Passion for working outdoors.
● Ability to and work long hours in all types of weather conditions with seasonally heavy
● Experience designing and implementing irrigation systems (including PVC piping, drip tape,
sprinklers, misters) for fields, greenhouses and wash/pack area.
● Demonstrated experience managing administrative and financial activities associated with crop
production, including well-developed budget and variance reporting experience.
● Excellent communication and organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
● Grant writing and reporting experience.
● Ability to manage multiple projects, set priorities and adhere to strict deadlines.
● Strong experience with record keeping for organic certification.
● Experience working with a four season greenhouse growing and management.
● Familiar and proficient with G-Suite (Google Drive, Sheets, Docs, Calendar, Gmail), Microsoft
Office, Adobe and computer applications.
● Valid Ontario Driver's License.
Description of Work Area
The BCCF Farm Manager position includes:
● Repetitive tasks such as bending, crouching, lifting, and reaching.
● Full shifts standing and working on your feet.
● Use of hand tools and mechanized equipment.
● Regularly lifting 50+ lbs.
● Working outdoors in all kinds of weather (heat, sun, rain, cold).
Location(s) of Position: Black Creek Community Farm, 4929 Jane Street, Toronto ON M3N 2K8
The successful applicant will be required to obtain, or show proof of, a valid Vulnerable Sector Police
Check and Standard First Aid and CPR certification.
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!