Summary of Position: The Arborist Placement Specialist is an integral part of The Career Foundation’s Arborist Groundworker Training program team. Building and maintaining connections with employers in the arboriculture industry, third-party trainers, and program participants who are comprised of job seekers with barriers to employment, are keys to success in this position.
As the Arborist Placement Specialist, you will also be responsible for visiting the program’s training facilities and communicating with program participants about their progress, as well as conducting site visits throughout job placement periods, and keeping the Program Coordinator informed on the status of same. Importantly as well, as the Arborist Placement Specialist, you will provide employment counselling, coaching, and guidance to program participants to ensure they remain engaged and on-track throughout their participation in the program.
Position Type: Full-time, leave-based contract until March 2022 with good possibility of extension
Experience: 2+ years
Number of Positions: 1
Reporting to: Program Coordinator
Location: Travel to several different locations in Toronto, Ottawa, and surrounding areas is required. Base office location at Lawrence & Allen Rd. in Toronto. Administrative duties can be conducted from home, contingent on the successful candidate having appropriate work-from-home space.
Start date: ASAP
* Must have a valid G driver’s licence, reliable vehicle, as well as reliable internet connection and a printer.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited, to:
- Solicits new arborist companies and recruits employers willing to hire students from the program.
- Matches students with employers based on hiring needs and relevant skills and assists students in finding job placements.
- Assists students and employers with job retention and maintenance issues, including monitoring job placements and mediating issues as they arise.
- Arranges and conducts two site visits per student during the job placement period.
- Creates training plan documents and facilitates placement documents.
- Manages and organizes data collection (e.g., satisfaction surveys, pre-and post-training job readiness, COVID screenings, etc.) and completes data management using internal and funder-mandated online systems.
- Collects and organizes identification and resumés from program applicants.
- Organizes and manages the collection of documents as required by the program’s government funder.
- Manages interview schedules for students.
- Coordinates Information Sessions and prepares application forms, ensuring content is up-to-date with all current program information.
- Assists with marketing and outreach activities to promote the program to potential participants, as well as to employers in the arboriculture industry.
- Works in collaboration with the communications and marketing team to produce digital marketing content for the program.
- Answers main phone line for the program and manages main email account to answer questions and provide further information.
- Ensures related pages about the program on The Career Foundation’s website are up-to-date and reflect all current program information.
- Oversees and coordinates job fairs as needed.
- Oversees client support spending and ensures proper documentation is collected.
- Purchases inventory and tracks client support funds for the program’s budget.
- Corresponds with suppliers for inventory purchases.
- Assists the Program Coordinator with any additional tasks as assigned.
Technical Training Support:
- Visits training facilities in Toronto and Ottawa twice per week over the five-week training period for each cohort of students.
- Communicates with instructors regarding student progress and resolves any potential issues.
- Collects attendance and progress reports from instructors and submits same to Program Coordinator.
- Supports students during the training period to ensure their success, including taking their phone calls, responding to text messages and emails, and meeting them in-person during regular business hours and during evenings and weekends, as needed.
- Facilitates communication between instructors and students when required.
Job Search Support:
- Provides one-on-one support and/or group counselling to participants on employment-related topics, such as job search, employer research, marketing skills, conflict resolution, career advancement, accepting feedback, etc.
- Identifies barriers to employment and provides participants with suitable referrals as needed.
- Assists participants in the exploration of employment requirements, industry accreditation, and further education/training opportunities.
- Provides participants with workplace orientation specific to the arboriculture industry, including employer expectations on-the-job.
- Supports participants in planning and conducting job search activities.
- Develops a resource pool of mentors/coaches and creates mentorship plans.
- Monitors mentor/coach relationships and their impact on workplace and individual success; facilitates adjustment as required.
- Supports students during the job search component of the program to ensure their success, including taking their phone calls and responding to text messages and emails during regular business hours and during evenings and weekends, as needed.
Qualifications/ Skills Required:
- Knowledge and/or experience in the arboriculture industry is highly preferred. Candidates with knowledge and/or experience in the industry will be prioritized.
- A valid G driver’s license and reliable vehicle is required to perform essential functions of the position. Must be willing to travel to several different locations in Toronto, Ottawa, and surrounding areas and be equipped to work remotely from home with reliable internet connection for a hybrid remote working schedule when performing administrative functions.
- Post-secondary education or equivalent practical work experience, and a minimum of 2 years of proven, hands-on transferrable work experience related to job search coaching.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills and ability to clearly communicate information.
- Previous professional experience creating cover letters and resumes considered an asset.
- Ability to work with diverse populations, including job seekers facing employment barriers.
- A professional and courteous approach to client service with a high level of respect for the diversity of the people served.
- Exceptional customer service skills with ability to uphold the organization’s service standards and policies.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to multi-task, and very responsive and flexible to evolving responsibilities to respond to different priorities and achieve program objectives, with work varying from day-to-day.
- Capable of working under pressure with frequent interruptions, and able to prioritize while working on numerous program demands.
- Ability to maintain sensitive information, exhibit tact, diplomacy and good judgment, with high standards of ethics and confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently and build strong working team relationships.
- Must be willing and flexible to work outside of normal business hours, including evenings and weekends, when required.
The Career Foundation offers a wide range of career and job-related programs. Since its inception in 1988, The Career Foundation has steadily expanded its services. Operating out of seven locations, we now help thousands of people each year successfully accomplish their employment goals. For more information, please visit our website at www.CareerFoundation.com.
The Career Foundation is committed to diversity and inclusion and aims to create a healthy and rewarding environment for all. We welcome applications from qualified individuals who represent the diversity of the people we proudly serve, including, but not limited to, visible minorities, women, persons with disabilities, Indigenous peoples, and individuals of all genders and sexual orientation. The Career Foundation, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), is also committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. We will work with candidates requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.
We are a professional, result-driven organization that has been described by our employees as caring, compassionate, innovative, and team-oriented.