VCCS Employment Services
Employment Resource & Information Services Counsellor / Facilitator
Resources & Information / Facilitator Role:
VCCS is seeking a dynamic, innovative individual, to carry out a variety of activities and functions, effectively contributing to the organization’s services and activities to meet the needs of today’s jobseekers and employers. The function of the R&I counsellor within VCCS is to support the needs of job seeking clients by providing the level of services and supports needed to support them to obtain and retain employment. They will support employers by posting jobs utilizing the Magnet job board and promoting its use, understanding their needs, follow up and job matching with clients. The R&I counsellor will support the agency and its clients by carrying out the activities that contribute to exceptional customer service, innovative programming and activities that attract and engage both jobseekers and employers in our services.
The R&I Counsellor will deliver such employment service components as:
-Case management (virtual or in person)
-Virtual and in person resources (SSM resource Hub or workshops offered by VCCS)
- Development and delivery of a variety of workshops to diverse audiences
-Client supports to overcome barriers to employment
-Light touch retention support
Primary Functions of this position include:
- Develop and facilitate workshops and information sessions on topics which will orient clients to the workplace.
- Conduct client service planning and coordination assessments; deliver pre-employment workshops and information sessions and participate in the job matching and placement activities to meet targets.
- Explore the need for and provide education and work transition supports to clients as necessary.
- Gather current relevant labour market information and job search and personal management resources; review regularly to keep workshops current and meaningful
- Clarify employment / education / training / career goals by exploring labour market information, training requirements and other employment resources.
- Determine the most appropriate employment and/or training service available to the client
- Assist clients by putting the necessary employment supports in place
- Utilize counselling and motivational interviewing skills to evaluate job readiness, negotiate readiness for change and make appropriate referrals to other counsellors, job developers, employers, training institutions and community partners.
- Provide support and follow up to clients and employers during job search and employment.
- Plan, monitor and document client’s information and progress in employment activities
- Conduct intakes of potential clients to determine eligibility, needs and suitability and which service components would be the most effective in assisting individuals to meet their career goals.
- Provide employment counselling to assist with career direction, job search and job maintenance issues.
- Provide coordinated and integrated supported access to other services in the community that support’s the client’s goals.
- Remaining current with the City of Kawartha Lakes labour market trends
- Ensure client appointment information and activity is tracked on CAMs system in timely manner
- Conduct client and employer surveys and follow-ups.
- Attend meetings as required
- Adhere to personnel policies as set out in the VCCS Policies and Procedures Manual
- Ensure access and delivery of client services are consistent with our Customer Service Charter
- Ensure that client files contain all documentation as outlined in ES guidelines.
- Monitor client interventions as required until file is closed.
- Conduct client follow-up at specified intervals with exited clients as required.
- Achieving program statistical goals and targets
- Undertake other tasks as assigned
Skills and Experience:
The successful candidate will be a dynamic, positive, innovative individual with a commitment to excellence in customer service. The individual will be flexible, with the ability to pivot and manage a variety of tasks and responsibilities. They will have an in depth understanding of facilitation techniques to deliver a variety of workshops to diverse groups of individuals and employers.
- Post-secondary degree/diploma in the Social Sciences with preference to graduates of an employment counselling program
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office products and the ability to use a variety of computer programs.
- 2 years of experience in employment counselling role working with diverse client groups
- Advanced verbal and written proficiency in English; French proficiency is considered an asset.
- Must maintain a cohesive relationship with clients and staff
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Must have above average interpersonal skills that are congruent with the organizational culture as a caring and compassionate company.