Reports To: Executive Director
Department/Group: Program Services
Location: Work at home in Alberta, Saskatchewan, or Manitoba
Hours: The Coach will work 13 hours/participant over 3 months. Each Coach will be assigned 2-4 participants for the 3 month period. Mandatory training must be completed.
Black Business Ventures Association (BBVA) is a 100% black-led non-profit organization with a mandate to discover, educate and mentor black tech entrepreneurs to create social and economic prosperity.
Our programs and services are designed and delivered through a relatable learning mechanism that is inclusive of cultural context to help entrepreneurs grow and scale their business. BBVA is launching its new Black Accelerator Program, a 3-month program designed to support black-led, early-stage, tech or technology-enabled businesses, using the LEANSTACK methodology.
BBVA is on a mission to help establish 1000 successful, Black-led tech and tech-enabled businesses in Canada by 2030.
The vision of BBVA is: A vibrant Canadian technology ecosystem with significant participation by the Black community
As a Business Coach Contractor, you are contractor who will help build the next amazing batch of Black-led startups, as they grow from early stage to seed funding backed companies. From entrepreneurs, to investors, to mentors, your network is about to explode. You will have the opportunity to sit in on mentor meetings – get to know the best entrepreneurs and investors, up close and personally. You will also have access to full involvement in BBVA social events with the founders and local community.
Training dates are: September 27-October 1 from 9AM-12:30PM CT and November 8-12 from 9AM-12:30PM CT. Coaches will receive coaching lean training which is mandatory for the position. The cost will be paid for by BBVA.
This is an opportunity to get amazing experience, broaden your network in ways you could never imagine, get exposure to some of the greatest up and coming Black-led companies in Canada.
The main responsibilities are:
- Help founders apply "Lean Startup" principles and methodologies and customer-centric activities in order to bridge the technology they're building with the needs of potential buyers.
- Work alongside the BBVA team to help founders with their businesses during program, which could include customer discovery and development, business model, marketing, financials, pitching and more.
- Continually evaluate founder progress and coach towards achievement of objectives and key results.
- Hold founders accountable for their progress, including having tough-love conversations where needed.
- Ensure founders are conducting customer-focused validation plans and sprints
- Aid founders in creating a culture of disciplined experimentation
- Assist founders with creating a business case for investment
- Help companies pivot/iterate as needed to establish the path towards product/market fit
- Assist founders in sourcing relevant mentors who can help them with challenges as they arise.
- Be an advocate for BBVA within the Startup ecosystem, and identify opportunities to deepen partnerships with other stakeholders, and work towards a common goal.
- Work collaboratively with the other Startup Coaches to create a seamless entrepreneurial experience.
- Identify opportunities for new content to be added to BBVA online learning platform.
- Participate in community-based events and lead recruitment workshops to drive application demand for our three stages of programming.
- Leverage community partners and networks for applicant referrals to the program.
The ideal candidate is and has:
- Founder or executive from successful technology startups and possess management consulting and venture capital experience
- Successful entrepreneur who is "between startups" to provide value, to learn, or to get a new credential
- Proven relevant experience working directly with tech startups in an operational, advisory or investor capacity
- Local startup mentor, advisor or board member
- Quick learner to support startup companies and program participants
- Developed a strong professional network of individuals (investors, mentors, founders) with the background, experience and passion needed to help tech startups drive toward success
- A give first attitude toward their community and all of the individuals they interact with and a passion for helping startups become successful businesses
The ideal candidate has the following competencies:
- Openness to Intercultural Learning- the ability to manage biases and use curiosity to learn more about others while also learning about yourself and being open to feedback
- Self Awareness - the ability to understand oneself and the impact that one’s perceptions and attitudes have on others
- Collaborative- the ability to create inclusive spaces that value, build upon, and recognize the diverse strengths and expertise of your colleagues
- Focus on outcomes and plan/drive for results- maximizing resources to achieve results that are aligned with the goals of the organization, while maintaining accountability to each other and external stakeholders
- Agility- function as a role mode of how to effectively work through change and how to adapt your approach, even in times of uncertainty and ambiguity
- Lead- positively influence others to support achieving solutions to complex issues
Pay Rate: Coaches will be paid at a rate per program participant between $900-$1200/participant.