The Bob Rumball Canadian Centre of Excellence for the Deaf (BRCCED) is a multi-purpose, multi-program facility that functions as a community centre for the Deaf and as a non-profit charitable provider of services for the Deaf. The organization exists to provide care and opportunities in a communication-rich environment that enhances the quality of life of those we serve. Our perks include but not limited to robust benefits program (for eligible employees), access to sign language classes, employee rewards & recognition program, comprehensive training and development, internal progression, and an opportunity to give back to the community.
Reporting to the Sign Language Services Coordinator, the full time ASL Instructor will contribute to the development, implementation and evaluation of a workplace related ASL instruction, curriculum development and programming. This position will also be involved with teaching classes, both internally (BRCCED staff) and externally (community-based instruction), using the Signing Naturally and other developed curriculum
· Assesses the current ASL skills of students and determines the overall needs of the department
· Evaluates student progress
· Provides creative, stimulating programming for students outside of classes, including “Lunch & Learn” and social/learning activities
· Provides programming both virtually and in-person
· Develops and provides mentoring opportunities for students
· Monitors class attendance and participation, and ensures that students receive appropriate learning materials
· Conducts regular evaluation of learner experience
· Participates in teaching classes using combinations of the Signing Naturally curriculum and specific goal-developed learning modules
· Works with Sign Language Services coordinator and departmental directors/managers to develop and deliver departmental related ASL instruction for staff of BRCCED
· Works with Sign Language Services Coordinator to evaluate services by compiling and reporting student experience surveys, and implements feedback into an ongoing quality improvement process
· Assists in the development of a workplace related curriculum based on the individuals needs of each department/division at BRCCED
· Ensures the curriculum focuses on the different learning styles of the staff, to ensure learning objectives are met and includes a mix of vocabulary/phrases, Deaf culture, fingerspelling, classifiers and grammar
· Participates in the development of materials for workshops and trainings for external customers/business based on their needs
· Performs other duties as assigned
· Successful completion of High school (Grade 12)
· Fluent in American Sign Language
· Successful completion of Deaf Culture, Basic Linguistic Structures of ASL and “Signing Naturally” Curriculum Level One, and Three training
· Two (2) years’ experience teaching using the Signing Naturally curriculum
· Extensive knowledge and understanding of Deaf culture and has a strong relationship with the Deaf community
· Experience teaching online classes using virtual platforms such as Zoom.
· Highly developed leadership, creativity, organizational and interpersonal skills
· Experience with curriculum development an asset
· Demonstrated professionalism and initiative, with the ability to work with minimal supervision
· Position may transfer to different locations based on business needs
· Willingness to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends (as requested)
· Possesses valid full G Driver’s license
· French/LSQ an asset
Interested candidates please visit https://www2.bobrumball.org/careers/ or fax resume to 855.492.1612
Please contact the above if you need accommodation at any stage of the application process. We thank all applicants in advance, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Posting Date: September 13, 2021 Closing Date: September 27, 2021 Start Date: Immediately
Please Note: WorkInNonProfits.ca is not affiliated with and in no way endorses or vets the organization that posted this job. Any links posted within the job will take you to their external site where the same disclaimer applies.
Thanks for looking on WorkInNonProfits.ca and good luck with your job search!